2008-09 NHL Season Preview
Fall has finally come and it's time to play some hockey. Kidzworld previews and predicts everything that will go down this NHL season!
Stanley Cup Contenders
- Detroit Red Wings - The defending Stanley Cup champs are still the team to beat. By adding Marian Hossa and Ty Conklin, Detroit only got better. Even though superstar goalie Dominic Hasek has retired, they have the always solid Chris Osgood holding down the fort.
- San Jose Sharks - If there is a team Detroit should be worried about, it is this team. The Sharks have an excellent chance to take home the Cup with their super talented squad. With Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau and Jeremy Roenick, new head coach Todd McLellan has a lot tools to work with.
- Washington Capitals - Is this the year, Alexander Ovechkin takes the Capitals deep in the playoffs? Alexander the great may be the best player in hockey and has a supporting cast talented enough to make some noise come spring time. If they improve their defense and goaltending, watch out!
- Pittsburgh Penguins - Anytime you got Sidney Crosby on your roster you have a chance to win. The 21-year-old phenom took the Penguins to the Stanley Cup Finals a season ago. Can he finish the job this year? With Evgeni Malkin, Jordan Staal and Marc-Andre Fleury as a supporting cast, we wouldn't bet against it!
- Dallas Stars - The Stars surprised a lot of people, when they made the Western Conference Finals last year. They certainly have the talent to repeat their success, but their window of opportunity is closing. Mike Modano is nearing the end of his career, but luckily he has the high scoring Mike Ribeiro and Brenden Morrow. to help him out.
What To Watch
- Kristian Huselius - Now that this super skilled player is out of Calgary and now with the Columbus Blue Jackets, he might finally have his chance to show his stuff. Expect this Swedish star to put up monster numbers this season!
- The Chicago Blackhawks - There are a lost of quality young players on this team like Jonathan Toews and the newly signed Brian Campbell. Look for the Blackhawks to make some noise this year!
- Vincent Lecavalier - This Tampa Bay Lightning center signed an enormous 11-year, $85 million contract over the summer. Can this scoring machine put up 90 points for the third straight season?
Stanley Cup Predictions
We predict a new champion will arise this year. Although it was close, we believe the San Jose Sharks will win their first Stanley Cup title as they will defeat the Washington Capitals.