What is it about the Converse high top that makes it so important? Why is this one kind of shoe so important to people in the U.S.? The “Chuck Taylor All Star” (the kind of Converse high tops with the star) is legendary. Even people who don’t usually care about fashion like these shoes! Why?
Well, we know that when famous people where something, it gets more popular, right? If you watch Nickelodeon, you’ll notice that the girls on iCarly wear Cons. If you watch sports, you’ll see that basketball players wear them. If you like to skateboard, you know that Tony Hawk loves these shoes. If you like rock music, you know that many famous musicians wore high tops.
But, Converse high tops aren’t legendary just because of famous people. These kinds of shoes are historic! That means that they have been around a long time. They are not “trendy”—not likely to go away very soon. Chuck Taylor All Stars have been around for more than 100 years.
For example, they’re called “Chuck Taylor All Stars” because the famous basketball player Chuck Taylor liked them. Sometimes people just call them “Chucks.” Chuck Taylor helped make basketball famous. He invented the kind of basketball that players use today. He was is in the basketball Hall of Fame.
Of course, Chuck helped make Chucks famous. But that was along time ago. How come Chucks are still around?
For one thing Chucks have never been very expensive. Also, the company made them in all kinds of different colors and styles (see below!). Many groups have adopted Chucks, including, at different times, skaters, grunge rockers, athletes, and punks. This shoe is obviously cool to many different people- over 8 million pairs have been sold!
What’s Your Chuck?
- The color of Converse you wear might say a lot about you!
- Black: You are a classic person. The black Con is the first and most common kind.
- Red: You’re fun and ready to try something new.
- White with Stars: You have your own style and aren’t afraid to show it!
- Patterns: You’re ready to make NEW styles.
- Brown: Fashion and a smooth look are important to you.
- Neons: You love attention!
- Converse Century Footwear Collection Review
- Converse Holiday Collection Review
- Graffeeti Shoes Review
- DC Shoes Review