-
x

Meet New Friends!

Recommended friends are based on your interests. Make sure they are up to date.

Friends ff8c072dd79a91c1300f032d674241a8d64367100ffb1f25fa3f9bec4a05319f
Kidzworld Logo

All About Snowflakes

Snow. It's not the most mysterious thing, is it? It's white, cold and if enough of it falls, you don't have to go to school. But do you even know what snowflakes are made out of? Probably not - so keep reading!

Snowflakes - Where Do They Come From?

Snowflakes come from clouds, which are really just big clusters of water vapor. This water vapor scatters and forms ice crystals or rain in the clouds, depending on the temperature. The temperature must be below zero degrees Celsius (32 degrees F) for the water to turn into ice crystals. The ice crystals also contain tiny bits of dirt that the wind has blown around the atmosphere (and it sometimes even contains dust from space). These ice crystals (also called snow crystals) cluster together to form individual snowflakes. One snowflake can be made up of anywhere between two and 200 separate snow crystals.

Snowflakes - No Two Look The Same

There are a few reasons that no two snowflakes look the same. One thing that influences the size and shape of a snowflake are temperature changes:

  • 30 degrees Fahrenheit (-1 degrees Celsius) - Snowflakes usually look like columns.
  • 27 to 23 degrees Fahrenheit (-2 to -5 degrees Celsius) - Snowflakes usually form a needle shape.
  • 23 to 18 degrees Fahrenheit (-5 to -7 degrees Celsius) - Snowflakes usually look like columns appear again.
  • 18 to 10 degrees Fahrenheit (-7 to -12 degrees Celsius) - Snowflakes are usually shaped like a plate.
  • 10 to 3 degrees Fahrenheit (-12 to -16 degrees Celsius) - Snowflakes are usually shaped like a star.

Snowflakes come in all different shapes and sizes!Snowflakes come in all different shapes and sizes!

Snowflakes - What Else Affects its Shape?

Dirt can change the appearance of a snowflake as can the snow's "flight plan". If a snow crystal spins like a top as it falls, it will usually be symmetrical when it hits the ground. If a snow crystal falls sideways, then it will end up lopsided.

Snowfakes - Flakey Snow Facts

  • An average raindrop falls 600 feet per minute while the average snowflake falls at about 11 feet per minute.
  • Algae (simple plants with no roots, stems, leaves or flowers) can live in water, soil, sand and even snow.
  • Dirty snow melts faster than clean snow. This is because the impurities (dirt particles) hold a higher temperature than the snow crystals.
Related Stories:

 

8 Comments

Related Stories

Micro frozen micro
Disney’s animated musical film Frozen is fun, thoughtful and beautifully-made. Check out our Kidz...
Micro micro fakesnow
Snow has always been a cozy feature of the holiday season. Cozy if you’re inside by the fire and ...
Micro winter safety micro
Winter sports usually means slipping and sliding all over the ice and snow and that can cause som...
Micro marshamallows micro
They’re squishy , they’re fluffy, they’re sweet and easy to eat - but what exactly are they and h...
Micro ice cream micro
It’s probably no surprise to you that July is National Ice Cream Month, in the summer an ice crea...
Snow day poll

Fave Thing To Do on a Snow Day? Vote!

  • I love making snowmen.
  • Snow is perfect for a snowball fight.
  • Snow means it's time to snowboard!
  • I hate the snow. I stay inside.

General In The Forums

jordand08
jordand08 posted in Say Anything:
Please stay on topic, if you have any more concerns you can comment either myself or kirsten. 
reply about 2 hours
jordand08
jordand08 posted in Say Anything:
"AlphaT" wrote: "jordand08" wrote: "AlphaT" wrote:Oh wow, a genuine trigger warning. Did the memes teach you nothing? First off, an actual warning. Take no action based on what you've read here without first consulting a mental health professional. Now, I have a lot of experience in mental illness. I have ADHD(Pre-DSMV), an anxiety disorder, and I've tested significant for bipolar (Pre-DSMV). My best advise is to find a therapist that you personally connect with. It's not about being comfortable, because a good therapist will challenge your thoughts, but you need to be able to accept those challenges. And to do that, you'll need a therapist that you mesh with. Aside from that, good medication can go a long way to helping you live with your mental issues. However, this isn't true for everyone, and it should be handled by a medical professional.  I'm sorry I found your comment rude. This post is not just about mental illnesses, and mental health is a universal thing that requires you to take care of yourself because you can't always see professionals because their isn't always easy access to them. Which is all clearly stated in the post. If you say something again on this post that's rude it will be reported I'm not sure what you mean by "rude". I mean, you found what I said to be rude, but you gave no reason why. If I don't know how to accommodate for your standards of rudeness, I feel like I'm doomed to repeat my trespass.  So, how exactly was I being rude? Your very first sentence. Yes its suppose  to be saracastic, but not everything has to be answered with as a joke, because some people take offense to it.
reply about 2 hours
AlphaT
AlphaT posted in Say Anything:
"jordand08" wrote:"AlphaT" wrote:Oh wow, a genuine trigger warning. Did the memes teach you nothing? First off, an actual warning. Take no action based on what you've read here without first consulting a mental health professional. Now, I have a lot of experience in mental illness. I have ADHD(Pre-DSMV), an anxiety disorder, and I've tested significant for bipolar (Pre-DSMV). My best advise is to find a therapist that you personally connect with. It's not about being comfortable, because a good therapist will challenge your thoughts, but you need to be able to accept those challenges. And to do that, you'll need a therapist that you mesh with. Aside from that, good medication can go a long way to helping you live with your mental issues. However, this isn't true for everyone, and it should be handled by a medical professional.  I'm sorry I found your comment rude. This post is not just about mental illnesses, and mental health is a universal thing that requires you to take care of yourself because you can't always see professionals because their isn't always easy access to them. Which is all clearly stated in the post. If you say something again on this post that's rude it will be reported I'm not sure what you mean by "rude". I mean, you found what I said to be rude, but you gave no reason why. If I don't know how to accommodate for your standards of rudeness, I feel like I'm doomed to repeat my trespass.  So, how exactly was I being rude? 
reply about 2 hours
Kirsteeeeen
thanks for posting this Kristen. I think that it is a tough subject to talk about with other people and honestly I think it's good to talk about it in a moderate amount. Now that more pepole are being diagnosed with learning differences or some sort of other mental health disorder, I think that talking about it and informing people will only make it easier for people to feel less awkward or the odd man out. That's how I found about that I am not the only person in the room who has ADD. I'm more willing to come out and talk to people and discribe what I have to go through on a daily basis to raise awareness. School will always be hard for me so I look at my strengths to help push me forward in life.  Thank you for sharing! First of all I'd like to say I admire your bravery and I hope that things continue to improve. :) I agree, talking about it in a moderate amount is useful, as is reminding ourselves that mental health starts anybody, and that coping strategies and learning to love yourself are important no matter what, inside AND outside of a situation that would require therapy. It's also definitely helpful to know you're not the only one. And that there are so many successful people who have battled the same battles and still came out on top. Again, thank you. :)
reply about 3 hours
jordand08
jordand08 posted in Say Anything:
Oh wow, a genuine trigger warning. Did the memes teach you nothing?  First off, an actual warning. Take no action based on what you've read here without first consulting a mental health professional.  Now, I have a lot of experience in mental illness. I have ADHD(Pre-DSMV), an anxiety disorder, and I've tested significant for bipolar (Pre-DSMV).  My best advise is to find a therapist that you personally connect with. It's not about being comfortable, because a good therapist will challenge your thoughts, but you need to be able to accept those challenges. And to do that, you'll need a therapist that you mesh with.  Aside from that, good medication can go a long way to helping you live with your mental issues. However, this isn't true for everyone, and it should be handled by a medical professional.  I'm sorry I found your comment rude. This post is not just about mental illnesses, and mental health is a universal thing that requires you to take care of yourself because you can't always see professionals because their isn't always easy access to them. Which is all clearly stated in the post. If you say something again on this post that's rude it will be reported
reply about 3 hours