-
x

Meet New Friends!

Recommended friends are based on your interests. Make sure they are up to date.

Friends ff8c072dd79a91c1300f032d674241a8d64367100ffb1f25fa3f9bec4a05319f
Kidzworld Logo

Dinosaur - In the Footsteps of Dinos

Dinosaurs - Colorful Creatures?

The word dinosaur might make you picture large green beasts, but that's just the work of artists and your imagination. The truth is that nobody really knows what color dinosaurs were. These guys have been buried for over 200,000 years and you can't tell what color they were from fossils. Palaeontologists (scientist who study dinosaurs) believe dinosaurs were probably earth-tone colors - green, gray, brown - just like reptiles today, so they would blend into their environment.

Dinosaurs - The Name Game

Most dinosaur names aren't as easy to say as T-Rex. Try saying these names out loud: Procompsognathus, Tuojiangosaurus, Archaeopteryx. Dino names usually combine Latin or Greek words, which often describe the dinosaur. Triceratops means 'three-horned face'. Other times they are named after the place they were discovered like Arctosaurus found near the Arctic Circle. Yaleosaurus was named for Yale University. Some dinosaurs are even named for people. Palaeontologist Orthneil C. Marsh had Marshosaurus named after him. About 700 species have been named. That's a tough list to memorize.

Procompsognathus DinosaurProcompsognathus Dinosaur

Dinosaurs - Beginning to End

The years dinos roamed Earth are divided into three periods, which are called the Mesozoic Era.

  • Triassic Period (225 to 193 million years ago) - During the Triassic Period, dinosaur ancestors were evolving. In the Late Triassic, the world saw the first true dinosaurs.
  • Jurassic Period (193 to 136 million years ago) - In the Jurassic Period, the number of dinosaurs grew.
  • Cretaceous Period (136 to 65 million years ago) - By the Cretaceous Period, many different types of dinosaurs had evolved.

Dinosaurs - Bon Voyage

Scientist know dinosaurs were no longer around 65 millions years ago. They can tell how old layers of rock are and no dinosaur bones have been found in rock less than 65 million years old. So how did they all die out? There are two main theories about this:

  • Gradualistic theories say the dinosaurs were in a slow decline and that gradual changes in the environment caused their extinction.
  • Catastrophic theories say the dinosaurs disappeared abruptly due to some world-wide catastrophe. Perhaps a giant meteor crashed into Earth, covering the world in dust and hiding the warmth from the Sun.

Dinosaur Fun Facts

  • Longest Dinosaur: Seismosaurus - 150 feet long
  • Heaviest Dinosaur: Argentinasaurus - 220, 000 pounds
  • Longest Dino Name: Micropachycephalosaurus - 23 letters

Argentinosaurus DinosaurArgentinosaurus Dinosaur
Related Stories:

 

7 Comments

Related Stories

Micro brachiosaurus micro
Brachiosaurus was the tallest dino of them all. When you're this tall who has enemies? Not Brachy...
Micro apato micro
Did you know that the so-called brontosaurus from the Flintstones never really existed? That's ri...
Micro stegosaur micro
Stegosaurus is one of the most popular dinos from the Jurassic period, but he didn't make it into...
Micro triceratops micro
The Triceratops dinosaur might have made a great pet. It was big but gentle, and it only ate gree...
F992546951031

Who Would Kick T-Rex's Butt?

  • Superman, duh.
  • Batman, of course.
  • The Incredible Hulk, any day.
  • No one. T-Rex rules.

General In The Forums

jordand08
jordand08 posted in Say Anything:
Please stay on topic, if you have any more concerns you can comment either myself or kirsten. 
reply about 2 hours
jordand08
jordand08 posted in Say Anything:
"AlphaT" wrote: "jordand08" wrote: "AlphaT" wrote:Oh wow, a genuine trigger warning. Did the memes teach you nothing? First off, an actual warning. Take no action based on what you've read here without first consulting a mental health professional. Now, I have a lot of experience in mental illness. I have ADHD(Pre-DSMV), an anxiety disorder, and I've tested significant for bipolar (Pre-DSMV). My best advise is to find a therapist that you personally connect with. It's not about being comfortable, because a good therapist will challenge your thoughts, but you need to be able to accept those challenges. And to do that, you'll need a therapist that you mesh with. Aside from that, good medication can go a long way to helping you live with your mental issues. However, this isn't true for everyone, and it should be handled by a medical professional.  I'm sorry I found your comment rude. This post is not just about mental illnesses, and mental health is a universal thing that requires you to take care of yourself because you can't always see professionals because their isn't always easy access to them. Which is all clearly stated in the post. If you say something again on this post that's rude it will be reported I'm not sure what you mean by "rude". I mean, you found what I said to be rude, but you gave no reason why. If I don't know how to accommodate for your standards of rudeness, I feel like I'm doomed to repeat my trespass.  So, how exactly was I being rude? Your very first sentence. Yes its suppose  to be saracastic, but not everything has to be answered with as a joke, because some people take offense to it.
reply about 2 hours
AlphaT
AlphaT posted in Say Anything:
"jordand08" wrote:"AlphaT" wrote:Oh wow, a genuine trigger warning. Did the memes teach you nothing? First off, an actual warning. Take no action based on what you've read here without first consulting a mental health professional. Now, I have a lot of experience in mental illness. I have ADHD(Pre-DSMV), an anxiety disorder, and I've tested significant for bipolar (Pre-DSMV). My best advise is to find a therapist that you personally connect with. It's not about being comfortable, because a good therapist will challenge your thoughts, but you need to be able to accept those challenges. And to do that, you'll need a therapist that you mesh with. Aside from that, good medication can go a long way to helping you live with your mental issues. However, this isn't true for everyone, and it should be handled by a medical professional.  I'm sorry I found your comment rude. This post is not just about mental illnesses, and mental health is a universal thing that requires you to take care of yourself because you can't always see professionals because their isn't always easy access to them. Which is all clearly stated in the post. If you say something again on this post that's rude it will be reported I'm not sure what you mean by "rude". I mean, you found what I said to be rude, but you gave no reason why. If I don't know how to accommodate for your standards of rudeness, I feel like I'm doomed to repeat my trespass.  So, how exactly was I being rude? 
reply about 2 hours
Kirsteeeeen
thanks for posting this Kristen. I think that it is a tough subject to talk about with other people and honestly I think it's good to talk about it in a moderate amount. Now that more pepole are being diagnosed with learning differences or some sort of other mental health disorder, I think that talking about it and informing people will only make it easier for people to feel less awkward or the odd man out. That's how I found about that I am not the only person in the room who has ADD. I'm more willing to come out and talk to people and discribe what I have to go through on a daily basis to raise awareness. School will always be hard for me so I look at my strengths to help push me forward in life.  Thank you for sharing! First of all I'd like to say I admire your bravery and I hope that things continue to improve. :) I agree, talking about it in a moderate amount is useful, as is reminding ourselves that mental health starts anybody, and that coping strategies and learning to love yourself are important no matter what, inside AND outside of a situation that would require therapy. It's also definitely helpful to know you're not the only one. And that there are so many successful people who have battled the same battles and still came out on top. Again, thank you. :)
reply about 3 hours
jordand08
jordand08 posted in Say Anything:
Oh wow, a genuine trigger warning. Did the memes teach you nothing?  First off, an actual warning. Take no action based on what you've read here without first consulting a mental health professional.  Now, I have a lot of experience in mental illness. I have ADHD(Pre-DSMV), an anxiety disorder, and I've tested significant for bipolar (Pre-DSMV).  My best advise is to find a therapist that you personally connect with. It's not about being comfortable, because a good therapist will challenge your thoughts, but you need to be able to accept those challenges. And to do that, you'll need a therapist that you mesh with.  Aside from that, good medication can go a long way to helping you live with your mental issues. However, this isn't true for everyone, and it should be handled by a medical professional.  I'm sorry I found your comment rude. This post is not just about mental illnesses, and mental health is a universal thing that requires you to take care of yourself because you can't always see professionals because their isn't always easy access to them. Which is all clearly stated in the post. If you say something again on this post that's rude it will be reported
reply about 3 hours