Kw-logo-smaller

Dinosaur - Apatosaurus (ah-PAT-oh-sawr-us)

The Apatosaurus formerly known as Brontosaurus.
Apatosaurus
A real apatosaurus skull.
Apatosaurus Skull

If you thought that Fred Flinstone's fave pet dino, "Dino," was a brontosaurus, we're sorry - you're wrong. The type of plant-eating dinosaur with the long, skinny neck and tiny head everyone has been calling a brontosaurus for years never really existed! Don't worry - your teachers and the books you read in school weren't intentionally lying to you. It's just that incorrect information has a way of getting around. Well, we're about to set the record straight.


Brontosaurus: The Myth Begins

The bones that were put together to construct the brontosaurus actually came from more than one dinosaur. The man who "found" the bones actually came across the body of an apatosaurus, except the head was missing. He used the head of the closest dino he could find, which actually belonged to a camarasaurus, to complete the skeleton. He put the fossils together and named the "new" dino "brontosaurus."


Brontosaurus: The Mistake is Uncovered

Almost 100 years passed before the error was discovered. Because the body was that of an apatosaurus and it was discovered first, the name "brontosaurus" was dropped. There never really was a dino that looked like a brontosaurus. In fact, the name was dropped way back in the 1970s, but for whatever reason brontosaurus is still a familiar name.


The Brontasaurus Never Really ExistedThe Brontasaurus Never Really Existed

Apatosaurus: Will the Real Brontosaurus Please Stand Up?

Apatosaurus was one of the largest animals that ever lived. Some people believe the earth shook when this dino walked. It could grow to over 85 feet long and over 15 feet tall at the hips. Apatosaurus is known for its very long neck, which made it easier to eat greens from trees. They also had big feet: yard-long footprints (called trackways) from this big guy have been found in Colorado. It had a small head along with a small mouth and probably spent most of its time eating to get enough nutrients from plants to stay alive.

ApatosaurusCourtesy of Neil Riehle

The apatosaurus also had huge, elephant-like legs and a long whiplike tail that may have been used as a defense against large predators. It also had a sharp claw on each thumb that may have deterred attackers. Possibly traveling in herds, these dinosaurs had to eat a lot of food to keep their massive bodies going. They may have swallowed plant matter whole and ground it up with a gizzard, like birds do today.


Dino FlinstoneTurns Out Dino's Bones Belonged to Someone Else!

Related Stories:
>
>

readers voted!

Comments

Cutie Moon

Cutie Moon wrote:

Nice
commented: Fri May 04, 2012

theroflmaster_1935635
its cool
commented: Sun Oct 30, 2011

Maddy78910

Maddy78910 wrote:

kool
commented: Sat Oct 15, 2011

there are 7 more comments

Please login or register to add comments

share with your friends


Twitter Facebook Myspace Digg


like this article?
Sign up now to get more just like!

latest videos

F992547244375

What Would You to Like Dig Up?

  • Dinosaur bones.
  • A lost city.
  • Ancient coins.
  • The Ark from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

related stories

This exciting new series by Rex Stone stars Jamie and Tom, who discover a world of adventure in D...
While you've missed your chance to have a real-live dinosaur encounter by about 65 million years,...
If all we have left of dinos are fossils, how do we know what they looked like? Kid...

Random in the forums

american_brit
american_brit posted in Debating:
"Crisanna" wrote:AlphaT: it's not even living yet, it doesn't have a heart beat! If you take a pregnancy test, it shows positive, and then you go to a feminine doctor to make sure, do you get an ultrasound? No because you won't find a heartbeat. You get a blood test, or maybe even a pee sample. A child heart's start beating after 22 days of conception. A women does not have an abortion before 22 days (or even right after). It's extremely dangerous. 
reply less than a minute
Crisanna
Crisanna posted in Debating:
"Teh_Skittlez" wrote: "Crisanna" wrote: AlphaT: it's not even living yet, it doesn't have a heart beat! If you take a pregnancy test, it shows positive, and then you go to a feminine doctor to make sure, do you get an ultrasound? No because you won't find a heartbeat. You get a blood test, or maybe even a ##### sample. Heartbeat is not the measure of living or not living. Many organisms don't even have hearts. It is 'alive', but not conscious. I think that's the more important distinction.  Yes this is true. But let me put it this way. Let's say a 13 year old girl got pregnant against her will. She, and her baby, may not make it through the birth. And with the possibilty of her death and the baby's, you'll still say that she can not get an abortion? That is just not right.
reply 1 minute
Teh_Skittlez
Teh_Skittlez posted in Debating:
"AlphaT" wrote: "Teh_Skittlez" wrote: Which is why I made the ant comparison. All living things have some value, and killing any of them is morally wrong. However, we do not treat all death or all killing the same way, and I do not believe that locking people in prison for abortion is going to resolve the fact that sometimes women will try to get rid of their pregnancies.   With all crime, making it illegal will not resolve it. But it will slim down immensely. Okay but now we're imprisoning otherwise productive members of society, for the goal of 'sending a message' that society doesn't approve of abortion. I think that's rather totalitarian. 
reply 1 minute
-Karpov-
-Karpov- posted in Debating:
"AlphaT" wrote: "Teh_Skittlez" wrote: Which is why I made the ant comparison. All living things have some value, and killing any of them is morally wrong. However, we do not treat all death or all killing the same way, and I do not believe that locking people in prison for abortion is going to resolve the fact that sometimes women will try to get rid of their pregnancies.   With all crime, making it illegal will not resolve it. But it will slim down immensely. That's definitely NOT how crime works. When you make something illegal that people want you just create an unsafe market for it. Prohibition is the best example of this 
reply 2 minutes
Teh_Skittlez
Teh_Skittlez posted in Debating:
"american_brit" wrote:   Teh_Skittlez,  I don't believe the argument is whether or not women should be punished.   If abortion is illegal, is that not presumably what would be happening? 
reply 2 minutes

play online games

Candy-100

A great online version of the famous Candy Crush. This is the best game launched...

1515_gl_kidzworld_100x100_jpg_fz

Intriguing planets, weird and wonderful characters; challenge friends and find a...

157262_(2)

When you go back to Candyland, you’ll wonder why you ever left in the first plac...

100x100_ra_logo_girl

Uncle George has left you his farm, but unfortunately it’s in pretty bad shape. ...

_thumb_100x100

Shoot blobs with different properies to merge yellow blobs. Your blobs can be re...