×
Back left 6d79ffa2165c70419b5d81367025d889a832b878a14a24f303dd5f6f59a4f2c5
Back right 7131bbac0729874ea35f73598ddf94d2e1f7db07d23b55f12e0a2064353ff6d7

Buster’s Sweet Tooth

April 13, 2009

SHARE IT!
LIKE IT!
kids articles

A sweet-toothed dog that wolfed down 12 Cadbury Creme Eggs in one sitting has sparked new warnings for owners to keep their Easter treats out of their pets' reach. A yellow Labrador retriever named Buster ended up in intensive care with chocolate poisoning after sniffing out the chocolate eggs at his home.

Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine, which can be REALLY dangerous for dogs.

Luckily, Buster made a full recovery, but vets say it shows the importance of not sharing your chocolate with pets.

Giving dogs even a small piece of chocolate can cause them to be really sick. They could get a tummy ache or, even worse, they could die.

Cadbury Creme EggsCadbury Creme Eggs

Dark chocolate is even worse, as it contains higher amounts of theobromine.

If your pooch just can't keep his or her paws of the chocolate, try giving him or her special dog treats that taste like chocolate but don't contain theobromine (check your local pet store or ask your vet).

As for Buster, it seems he still hasn't learned his lesson. His owner, Brenda Dawes, says, "He's already tried to eat a bag of chips and a roll of toilet paper since he's been home from the vet. I'll have to keep a close eye on him from now to keep him out of trouble."

Related Links: