Kw-logo-smaller

World Geography Facts - Water

The Dead Sea is the lowest lake.
Dead Sea

Kidzworld's done some digging around and come up with a list of amazing water facts. Grab your pen cuz this might make your homework load a little lighter.

Deepest Spot in the Ocean

The deepest spot in the ocean is called the Mariana Trench and is approximately 35, 797 ft (10,911 m) deep in the Pacific Ocean. That's deeper than the height of the world's highest mountain, Mount Everest, which is 29,035 ft (8,850 m) high.


Highest Navigable Lake

Lake Titicaca in Peru is the highest navigable lake in the world. It is about 12,500 ft (3,810 m) above sea level. This lake is also South America's second largest freshwater lake.


Lowest Lake

The lowest lake is the Dead Sea (it's considered a lake but called a sea), which is in the Jordan Valley of Israel. The surface of the water is 1,340 ft (408 m) below sea level. The Dead Sea is also the saltiest lake in the world. Almost nothing can survive in it besides simple organisms like green algae.


Largest Freshwater Lake

Lake Superior is the largest of the Great Lakes and it's also the freshwater lake that covers the greatest surface area in the world. Lake Superior covers over 82,000 km� of land and there's enough water in the lake to fill all the other Great Lakes plus three Lake Eries.


Deepest Lake

Lake Baikal is the world's deepest lake and is located in Siberia, Russia, north of the Mongolian border. It is 5,369 ft (1,637 m) deep - more than one mile straight down.


Largest Ocean

The Pacific Ocean takes the award for being the largest ocean in the world. It covers almost a third of the Earth's surface and goes from the Bering Sea in the Arctic north to the icy waters of Antarctica's Ross Sea in the south.


Smallest Ocean

The smallest ocean is the Arctic Ocean, which is about 10 times smaller than the Pacific Ocean.


Longest River

The Nile River in Egypt is the longest river. It's 4,145 miles (6,671 km) long and flows into the Mediterranean Sea.


Shortest River

The world's shortest river, according to the Guinness Book of World Records, is the Roe River. It is only 200 feet (61 meters) long and flows between Giant Springs and the Missouri River near Great Falls, Montana. There has been debate, though, about which river is really the shortest. The D River in Oregon has been measured as being only 120 ft (37 m) long. It connects Devil's Lake directly to the Pacific Ocean near Lincoln City. Because the D River flows into the ocean though, it's length changes according to the tide so has been measured at several different lengths.


Largest River

The Amazon Basin in South America is the largest river with the greatest water flow. This is because it flows through the Amazon rain forest - the largest and wettest rainforest on Earth.


Highest Waterfall

Angel Falls (Salto Angel) in Canaima National Park, Venezuela is the highest waterfall in the world at 3212 ft (979 m).


Related Stories:
>
>

readers voted!

Comments

ravenfan

ravenfan wrote:

hi
commented: Thu Sep 05, 2013

ravenfan

ravenfan wrote:

hi
commented: Thu Sep 05, 2013

brunostar

brunostar wrote:

good article :3
commented: Sun Jun 30, 2013

there are 3 more comments

Please login or register to add comments

share with your friends


Twitter Facebook Myspace Digg


like this article?
Sign up now to get more just like!

latest videos

F1012441464196

Most Impressive Water Record?

  • Longest pee.
  • Most liquid snorted out of the nose.
  • Longest strand of phlegm (snot.)
  • Largest slurpee consumption in 2 minutes.

related stories

Micro_a mic
There is a new car company in Japan making cars that run completely on water! The strange thing i...
Ocean acidification is more proof that we humans have really screwed up when it comes to taking c...
Ah… there’s nothing quite like sand, surf and sea. Whether you prefer playing in the mud or splas...
Did you know it takes longer to drown in saltwater than it does in freshwater? Did you know which...

Random in the forums

-Karpov-
-Karpov- posted in Debating:
"BookwormBizzare123" wrote:What will happen if Abortion isnt illegial? A better question is what would happen if abortion were illegal. If someone wants an abortion they're going to get it, it's better to have it done legally and safely than illegally and unsafely. 
reply less than a minute
jordand08
jordand08 posted in Say Anything:
8 (:
reply less than a minute
BookwormBizzare123
i dont like where this is going. Sure you can make it safer, but for every few people who die during it, there is a whole family mourning the loss of that child and its mother. What will happen if Abortion isnt illegial? Nothing good. i know that much
reply 4 minutes
jordand08
jordand08 posted in Debating:
"hugebear" wrote:Im sorry for saying this and I doesnt want to judge anyone else on their decisions. My opinion is that  Its not really any one elses business and so long as its within the law then the person who is pregnant should have the legal right and decide  based on their morals and beliefs. 
reply 7 minutes
Teh_Skittlez
Teh_Skittlez posted in Debating:
"BookwormBizzare123" wrote:in the words of a famous former president,"I've noticed that everyone up for Abortion has already been born"So no, i mean, think of it this way, WHAT IF your mother had aborted you? You wouldn't be here saying abortion is right. SO what if its "safe"? THERE IS NO SAFE ABORTION! Sometimes, the mother gets killed because some of the stuff got into her. Sometimes the mother would have still been alive if she hadn't aborted her kid.  So think about THAT abortion supporters You're right, if I was aborted I wouldn't be here talking to you, what's your point? Is that supposed to resonate with me?  We can make it as safe a process as possible. It's a dangerous procedure like any medical procedure and surely some small amount of people will die just like some number of planes will crash, but we can minimize that number. Outlawing abortion isn't the same as stopping abortion. In fact, outlawing it only makes it more likely that the woman will die in the process. 
reply 7 minutes

play online games

Candy-100

A great online version of the famous Candy Crush. This is the best game launched...

1515_gl_kidzworld_100x100_jpg_fz

Intriguing planets, weird and wonderful characters; challenge friends and find a...

157262_(2)

When you go back to Candyland, you’ll wonder why you ever left in the first plac...

100x100_ra_logo_girl

Uncle George has left you his farm, but unfortunately it’s in pretty bad shape. ...

_thumb_100x100

Shoot blobs with different properies to merge yellow blobs. Your blobs can be re...