-
x

Meet New Friends!

Recommended friends are based on your interests. Make sure they are up to date.

Friends ff8c072dd79a91c1300f032d674241a8d64367100ffb1f25fa3f9bec4a05319f
Kidzworld Logo

Mardi Gras | Fat Tuesday

Feb 19, 2017

Mardi Gras is French for Fat Tuesday and it means you should pig-out on this day. How did this holiday start? We have the scoop!

What Is It?

Mardi Gras is French for Fat Tuesday. This holiday is sometimes called Shrove Tuesday, as well (or Pancake Tuesday in the UK). In 2017, Mardi Gras falls on February 28th. The holiday is for celebrating and eating anything and everything. The following day is Ash Wednesday, which is the beginning of Lent (a 40 day period when Christians give up something they enjoy leading up to Easter). Although Mardi Gras began as the last day to indulge in food and drink before the fasting period of Lent, it has since evolved into a big festival celebrated by people around the world.

Mardi Gras | Fat TuesdayMardi Gras | Fat Tuesday

Louisiana Style

New Orleans, Louisiana has the biggest party of any American town. It all started when French explorers celebrated the holiday on the Mississippi River and the party grew from there. Today it's become a public holiday and is widely celebrated. Bourbon Street in New Orleans has the biggest festivities, parades and probably the most food and drinks. It's tradition to wear Mardi Gras beads and to give them out. Store owners on Bourbon Street put Vaseline on poles and columns to keep wild partiers from climbing them!

Mardi Gras parade in New OrleansMardi Gras parade in New Orleans

Did You Know?

  • Groups who organize Mardi Gras balls and parades are called krewes.
  • A Mardi Gras tradition is to bake a King Cake. It is made from a sticky dough and is covered in colored icing or sprinkles that represent the colors of Mardi Gras - green for faith, gold for power, and purple for justice.
  • Small plastic babies are baked into King Cakes. Whoever gets the slice of the cake with the baby in it is crowned King or Queen of Mardi Gras and is responsible for hosting a party the following year (and for baking the King Cake!).

King Cake!King Cake!

Have Your Say

Have you ever celebrated Mardi Gras? Let us know your fun party ideas!

Related Stories

 

37 Comments

Related Stories

Micro mardi gras micro
Mardi Gras is known as the festival season, and is one of the most colorful holidays celebrated i...
Micro glitter micro
Everyone needs a bit of glitter in their makeup bag! It may not be for everyday and some of you m...
Micro braid micro
Braids are officially are favorite summer hairstyle! It's the easiest and most stylish way we can...
Micro march holidays micro
Find out on Kidzworld which holidays you should be celebrating this March, like St. Patrick's Da...
Mardi gras poll

Best Thing About Mardi Gras?

  • All that food!
  • The music.
  • Getting to put on costumes and party!
  • I like any reason to celebrate.

General In The Forums

jordand08
jordand08 posted in Say Anything:
Please stay on topic, if you have any more concerns you can comment either myself or kirsten. 
reply about 2 hours
jordand08
jordand08 posted in Say Anything:
"AlphaT" wrote: "jordand08" wrote: "AlphaT" wrote:Oh wow, a genuine trigger warning. Did the memes teach you nothing? First off, an actual warning. Take no action based on what you've read here without first consulting a mental health professional. Now, I have a lot of experience in mental illness. I have ADHD(Pre-DSMV), an anxiety disorder, and I've tested significant for bipolar (Pre-DSMV). My best advise is to find a therapist that you personally connect with. It's not about being comfortable, because a good therapist will challenge your thoughts, but you need to be able to accept those challenges. And to do that, you'll need a therapist that you mesh with. Aside from that, good medication can go a long way to helping you live with your mental issues. However, this isn't true for everyone, and it should be handled by a medical professional.  I'm sorry I found your comment rude. This post is not just about mental illnesses, and mental health is a universal thing that requires you to take care of yourself because you can't always see professionals because their isn't always easy access to them. Which is all clearly stated in the post. If you say something again on this post that's rude it will be reported I'm not sure what you mean by "rude". I mean, you found what I said to be rude, but you gave no reason why. If I don't know how to accommodate for your standards of rudeness, I feel like I'm doomed to repeat my trespass.  So, how exactly was I being rude? Your very first sentence. Yes its suppose  to be saracastic, but not everything has to be answered with as a joke, because some people take offense to it.
reply about 2 hours
AlphaT
AlphaT posted in Say Anything:
"jordand08" wrote:"AlphaT" wrote:Oh wow, a genuine trigger warning. Did the memes teach you nothing? First off, an actual warning. Take no action based on what you've read here without first consulting a mental health professional. Now, I have a lot of experience in mental illness. I have ADHD(Pre-DSMV), an anxiety disorder, and I've tested significant for bipolar (Pre-DSMV). My best advise is to find a therapist that you personally connect with. It's not about being comfortable, because a good therapist will challenge your thoughts, but you need to be able to accept those challenges. And to do that, you'll need a therapist that you mesh with. Aside from that, good medication can go a long way to helping you live with your mental issues. However, this isn't true for everyone, and it should be handled by a medical professional.  I'm sorry I found your comment rude. This post is not just about mental illnesses, and mental health is a universal thing that requires you to take care of yourself because you can't always see professionals because their isn't always easy access to them. Which is all clearly stated in the post. If you say something again on this post that's rude it will be reported I'm not sure what you mean by "rude". I mean, you found what I said to be rude, but you gave no reason why. If I don't know how to accommodate for your standards of rudeness, I feel like I'm doomed to repeat my trespass.  So, how exactly was I being rude? 
reply about 2 hours
Kirsteeeeen
thanks for posting this Kristen. I think that it is a tough subject to talk about with other people and honestly I think it's good to talk about it in a moderate amount. Now that more pepole are being diagnosed with learning differences or some sort of other mental health disorder, I think that talking about it and informing people will only make it easier for people to feel less awkward or the odd man out. That's how I found about that I am not the only person in the room who has ADD. I'm more willing to come out and talk to people and discribe what I have to go through on a daily basis to raise awareness. School will always be hard for me so I look at my strengths to help push me forward in life.  Thank you for sharing! First of all I'd like to say I admire your bravery and I hope that things continue to improve. :) I agree, talking about it in a moderate amount is useful, as is reminding ourselves that mental health starts anybody, and that coping strategies and learning to love yourself are important no matter what, inside AND outside of a situation that would require therapy. It's also definitely helpful to know you're not the only one. And that there are so many successful people who have battled the same battles and still came out on top. Again, thank you. :)
reply about 3 hours
jordand08
jordand08 posted in Say Anything:
Oh wow, a genuine trigger warning. Did the memes teach you nothing?  First off, an actual warning. Take no action based on what you've read here without first consulting a mental health professional.  Now, I have a lot of experience in mental illness. I have ADHD(Pre-DSMV), an anxiety disorder, and I've tested significant for bipolar (Pre-DSMV).  My best advise is to find a therapist that you personally connect with. It's not about being comfortable, because a good therapist will challenge your thoughts, but you need to be able to accept those challenges. And to do that, you'll need a therapist that you mesh with.  Aside from that, good medication can go a long way to helping you live with your mental issues. However, this isn't true for everyone, and it should be handled by a medical professional.  I'm sorry I found your comment rude. This post is not just about mental illnesses, and mental health is a universal thing that requires you to take care of yourself because you can't always see professionals because their isn't always easy access to them. Which is all clearly stated in the post. If you say something again on this post that's rude it will be reported
reply about 3 hours