Oodles Of Doodles
In case you haven’t heard of them or never seen one in real life, a “doodle” is a dog that has the poodle breed mixed with a second breed.
Poodles are considered a great breed to cross-mix because they are very intelligent, make great family pets and have a non-shedding, hypoallergenic coat (in other words, poodles have “hair” while other breeds of dogs have “fur;” the difference is that hair doesn’t shed like fur and people who are allergic to dog fur are often not allergic to poodle hair).
There are tons of these poodle-mixes popping up everywhere – and some of them have some pretty funny names.
This is a mixed breed dog – a crossbreed between a golden retriever and a standard poodle. For some strange reason, many goldendoodles actually grow larger than either their golden retriever or standard poodle parents!
The first labradoodle was bred in 1989 by an Australian breeder named Wally Conron. Labradoodles are a mix of Labrador retrievers and standard or miniature poodles. Because labs come in a variety of colors, you can find labradoodles that are brown, yellow, white, etc.
The actual name of this hybrid dog is a cockapoo, but because it is a mixed breed between a cocker spaniel and a miniature or toy poodle it is also known as a spoodle. These adorable little teddy bears have been around in the U.S. since about 1960.
This funny named breed is a mix between a poodle and a schnauzer. Since poodles come in four sizes (standard, miniature, toy and teacup) and schnauzers come in three sizes (standard, giant and miniature), dogs from each breed that are around the same size are bred to create schnoodles.
What do you get when you cross a wheaton terrier and a poodle – why, a whoodle, of course! Whoodles are pretty adorable and, since both breeds are hypoallergenic to begin with, they make a great choice for people who are allergic to dogs.
These small domestic dogs are the result of a cross between a poodle (usually miniature or toy) and a small dog breed known as a shih tzu.
Just what you thought it would be – a yorkie/poodle mix! Brown and black and cute all over, these tiny dogs are very popular across America because of their small size.
Other Funny Doodles
- Affenpoo: Affenpinscher / Poodle mix
- Airedoodle: Airedale Terrier / Poodle mix
- Bossi-Poo: Boston Terrier / Poodle mix
- Boxerdoodle: Boxer / Poodle mix
- Cadoodle: Collie / Poodle mix
- Chi-Poo: Chihuahua / Poodle mix
- Doodleman Pinscher: Doberman / Standard Poodle mix
- Eskapoo: American Eskimo Dog / Poodle mix
- English Boodle: English Bulldog / Poodle mix
- Foodle: Poodle / Toy Fox Terrier mix
- Irish Doodle: Irish Setter / Poodle mix
- Jack-A-Poo: Jack Russell Terrier / Poodle mix
- Lhasapoo: Lhasa Apso / Poodle mix
- Malti-Poo: Maltese / Poodle mix
- Newfypoo: Newfoundland / Poodle mix
- Papi-poo: Papillon / Poodle mix
- Pekepoo: Pekingese / Poodle mix
- Pinny-Poo: Miniature Pinscher / Poodle mix
- Pomapoo: Pomeranian / Poodle mix
- Poo-Shi: Poodle / Shiba Inu mix
- Poogle: Beagle / Poodle mix
- Pugapoo: Pug / Poodle mix
- Saint Berdoodle: Saint Bernard / Poodle mix
- Scoodle: Scottish Terrier / Poodle mix
- Shar-Poo: Shar-Pei / Poodle mix
- Sheltidoodle: Sheltie / Poodle mix
- Sheepadoodle: Old English Sheepdog / Standard Poodle mix
- Shepadoodle: German Shepherd / Standard Poodle mix
- Springerdoodle: English Springer Spaniel / Poodle mix
- Terri-Poo: Australian Terrier / Poodle mix
- Westiepoo: Westie / Poodle mix