Born: September 8, 1979
Birthplace: Doylestown, Pennsylvania
P!nk Gets Her Start
When P!nk was only 13, she was singing as a back-up vocalist for her friend's rap group, School's of Thought. By 14, P!nk had already written her first track.
P!nk's Big Break
P!nk was discovered by an MCA rep while performing at Club Fever in Philadelphia when she was 14. They asked P!nk to audition for a group called Basic Instinct and she got the gig instantly. Even though the group was a huge flop, P!nk was lucky enough to sign on with another girl band, called Choice, almost immediately. P!nk became a household name when she released the album Missundaztood. On her newest album, Try This, which came out in November 2003, P!nk gets in touch with her inner punk rocker with a little help from Rancid frontman Tim Armstrong.
P!nk's Many Awards
Check out just a few of the awards P!nk has won:
- Blockbuster Entertainment Award: Favorite Female - New Artist (2001).
- Teen Choice Award: Song of the Summer for Lady Marmalade (2001).
- MTV Video Music Awards: Video of the Year and Best Video From a Film, both for Lady Marmalade (2001).
- Grammy Award: Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals for Lady Marmalade (2002).
P!ink - Did U Know?
- P!nk's musical influences are Madonna, Whitney Houston, Mary J. Blige, Billy Joel and her dad.
- Pink only began writing her name P!nk on her second album.
- P!nk's real name is Alecia Moore.
"I decided at 15 that I didn't want to be one of those artists that gets up and sings love songs they don't mean. I decided that I was going to be me to the fullest extent, that my songs were going to reflect relationships I've had, things I've been through, and even the stuff I'm embarrassed about."