Monsters, Inc.: DVD & Blu-Ray :: Review & Discuss It
Coming out on November 10, 2009 is Disney Pixar’s Monsters, Inc. on DVD & Blu-Ray. We got our copy early, so we could review it properly for y’all. While the DVD is pretty standard (if you saw the movie in theatre, you’ve pretty much already watched the disc), the Blu-Ray disc is absolutely awesome! Check out our review, below.
Plot A lot
Most of you already know the story behind Monsters, Inc., but just in case you don’t, here’s a quick recap. The movie takes place in a city of monsters called Monstropolis, which is powered by an energy company called Monsters, Inc.. Inside the company’s factory are countless doors that act as portals to kids’ closets so that monsters acting as “scarers” can go in he children to scream. Kids’ screams are what power the entire city. The one law all scarers abide by is that children are poisonous and no contact between them and the monsters is allowed!
Here’s the problem: the kids are becoming less and less scared of monsters, so not enough screams are being produced to power Monstropolis. Then, one day, a little girl follows Monsters, Inc.’s top scarer, Sulley back through the portal. Before long, Sulley and his friend Mike are desperately trying to prevent anyone from finding out about the kid (she’d have to be destroyed, according to the law). How they get her back to her own world is pretty much the basic plot of the movie.
It only took as watching the first half of Monsters, Inc. on Blu-Ray to realize: WE LOVE THIS MOVIE! It’s definitely one of Pixar’s best in terms of characters and storyline, and it’s one film that’s sure to have you howling with laughter, no matter how old you are (the fainting scene – HILARIOUS!). Plus, on Blu-Ray the picture is better, sharper and crisper than even before … this is gonna sound weird, but the hair on all the animated characters looks AMAZING. How do they get hair to look so lifelike and real? For example, as Sulley - who is quite hairy – moves about the screen his hair seems to react to everything going on around him, from his own movements to other characters brushing past him to the wind blowing. WOW.
The Monsters, Inc. DVD & Blu-Ray Combo Pack comes with plenty of special features for fans who want to go WAY behind the scenes of the movie. You can listen to the film’s creators talk about every scene in the movie, how they created it and any challenges or funny situations that happened during production. And, besides the DVD copy of the film that comes with the four-disc Blu-Ray, you get a digital copy and an extra Blu-Ray of special features, too.
More bonus features include:
- Director’s Introduction: Find out what’s included on the Blu-Ray.
- Commentary: Director, producer and writer commentary.
- Filmmakers Round Table: The personalities behind the film.
- Ride And Go Seek: Building Monstropolis in Japan: Learn about the Monsters, Inc. attraction in Disney Tokyo.
- Story Featurettes: A behind-the-scenes look at the making of Monsters, Inc.
- Monsters Only: Monsters, Inc. employee orientation video, TV spots, music vid, interview with Mike and Sulley.
- Monster File: Meet the cast and characters.
- Pixar Fun Factory Tour: Kid-friendly tour of Pixar Studios.
- For The Birds: All-new animated short.
- Mike’s New Car: All-new animated short.
- Roz’s 100 Door Challenge: Interactive trivia challenge.
What YOUR favorite Disney Pixar movie?