Quiz the Coach - Rugby Rules
Kidzworlds Quiz the Coach has advice on P.E. teachers, cheerleading, coaches, the rules of sports like rugby, teachers as well as other fitness and sports stuff. - Page 1
So ya dig sports but need some help with your game? Don't understand some of the rules of b-ball or soccer? Got a gripe about P.E. class, teammates or coaches, or anything? Why not ? The Kidzworld Coach can help ya work out team problems or give ya tips and advice to improve your game - all ya gotta do is ask!
I would like to know the rules and history of rugby and some more info on it?
I won't go through all the rules of rugby here because there are many different versions of the sport with many different rules. Here are some basics:
- Rugby is said to be invented in England in 1823 when a guy picked up the ball during a soccer game and decided to run with it.
- The object of the game is to score more points than the other team. Points are scored by putting the ball down across the goal line (scoring a try) or by kicking the ball through the goal posts.
- Players move the ball forward by running with the ball or kicking the ball. A player cannot throw the ball forward to a teammate - the ball can only be passed backwards.
- If a player is tackled to the ground, the player must try to pass or release the ball to a teammate.
- Players do not wear helmets or heavy padding like football players in North America. They do wear ear protectors and a jock.
- Rugby is usually played with 15 players on each team. There are other versions of the game played with seven or 11 players a side.
Here are a couple of great rugby links for you to check out for a closer look at the rules and history of the game.
- www.rfu.com - The official site of the Rugby Football Union.
- www.usarugby.org - The official site of the United States Rugby Football Union.
Rugby - Fun Facts
- Rugby was once an Olympic sport and was last played at the 1924 Olympic Games in Paris.
- The first rugby balls were made from pigs' bladders.
- The first World Cup of Rugby was played in 1987 and was won by New Zealand.
Do you have a question on sports, P.E. class, fitness or health? to the Kidzworld Coach. Keep in mind peeps, the Kidzworld Coach isn't a doctor or a professional athlete or anything like that. He's just a dude who digs sports, plays 'em and knows a lot about 'em. You should always talk to your 'rents, a doctor or your school gym teacher before starting a new sport or a new exercise.