Shawn Johnson Bio
Birthdate:: January 19, 1992
Birthplace: Des Moines, Iowa
Shawn Johnson is one of the world’s top gymnasts, but there’s a lot more to this athlete than her medals. Find out more in her Kidzworld bio!
Shawn Johnson has been a gymnast since she could walk. She was enrolled in gymnastics at the age of three after her parents noticed her jumping off furniture. She was such a dare devil she even tried to ride the vacuum cleaner! After harnessing her natural talent and putting in years of hard work, Shawn was rewarded with a spot on the U.S. National Team and a gold medal for women’s balance beam at the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics. She’s since gone on to star in national ad campaigns and appear in countless television spots.
Dancing With The Stars
Shawn’s gymnastic skills translated to a major victory on the dance floor when she and her partner Mark Ballas took home the Mirrorball Trophy on season 8 of Dancing With the Stars. Shawn was the youngest contestant to ever compete on the show and the third Olympian to compete in the finale. Apolo Anton Ohno and Kristi Yamaguchi were the other winning Olympians.
Did You Know?
- Shawn hangs upside down with a full milk moustache in her new ad for Got Milk. The ad’s a part of the Body By Milk campaign that calls on teens to get active to improve your health.
- There’s a life-sized bronze statue of Shawn in the Iowa Hall of Pride in her hometown of Des Moines, Iowa.
- She made a cameo on The Secret Life of the American Teenager.
- Shawn skipped her prom to compete on Dancing with the Stars.
- She’s been in ads for CoverGirl, McDonald’s, Oscar Mayer Lunchables and even appeared on a limited edition box of Cheerios.
- The Secret Life Of The American Teenager TV Show Facts
- Gymnastics 101
- Lovin' Gymnastics
- How To Get To The Olympics