Braids are officially are favorite summer hairstyle! It's the easiest and most stylish way we can think of to sweep the hair off our face in the heat! The longer your hair, the more creative you can be but any hair length can pull of its own version of the braided hairstyle.
Some of our favorite celebrities have been spotted keeping cool with braided updos, side braids, double braids and braided buns. We'll share some tips with you on how you can recreate the look at home – the best part is that no professional hairstylist is needed!
One word of advice before you get braiding, these hairstyles work best on hair that is slightly unclean. Freshly washed hair is more "slippery" and won't hold thebraid as well. If your hair is too slippery, you can add a few spritzes of salt-water spray, like Aquage Sea Salt Texture Spray ($15.99 and available at Walgreens) or just plain old hairspray to roughen up the texture of your hair. It also helps to keep the braids looking sleek and smooth. Other tools include a rat tail comb, Goody Ouchless clear elastics ($5.29) and some bobby pins the same colour as your hair!
The Milkmaid braid
This looks it would be hard to do but it's actually super easy! We tried this ourselves and it only took about 15 minutes from start to finish. This looks good worn casually or even to something like prom!
Mary Kate Olson
- 1. Divide your into two equal parts, just like you were about to make pigtails on each side of your head.
- 2. Braid each side and secure with a clear elastic.
- 3. Simply take the braided pigtails and wrap them around the top of head like a headband.
- 4. Tuck the ends underneath the braid (hide the ends with the braid) and secure with bobby pins the same colour as your hair (you might want to enlist the help of a friend for the first time!)
The French braid headband
We love this hairstyle, it adds a cute detail to your everyday hairstyle and it takes minimal effort to achieve. Also perfect for anyone growing out their bangs, it sweeps the hair off your face while looking stylish!
- 1. Part your hair where you'd like it to be or where it naturally parts.
- 2.Separate the front section of your hair from about the ear. Tie the hair you won't be using back so it doesn't get in the way.
- 3. Take the top part of your hair in a one inch section and start a normal braid.
- 4. Every time you braid the inner part of the braid grab a little piece of hair from the bottom section. This makes the braid lie flat against your head and connects the braid to the front section of your hair.
- 5. It's up to you where you want the braid to end. When you're done, tie it with a small clear elastic and leave it loose OR you can pin it close to your head and then put hair in front to cover it.>
- 6. This hairstyle looks great up or down so experiment and wear it different each time!
Messy Side Braid
This takes a little little bit more of an effort because it requires sectioning off three sections of your hair but the end result is worth it!
- 1.Section your hair into 3 sections. Take the front 2 sections just behind the ear. The back section is what you will be braiding.
- 2.Braid the back section towards one side of your head at an angle and tie with a thin elastic
- 3. Take each front section of the hair and backcomb the bottom so it looks a bit messy. This gives it the messy volume you want for this look.
- 4.Make a tiny braid only at the very bottom of these 2 sections after you've back-combed it enough. Take each side and loop it around your finger and pin behind the long braid on each side of your head.
- 5.Lightly mist with some hair spray and don't worry if it looks messy, it's supposed to!
The Braided headband
This look is very easy and looks so simple and pretty, you'll wonder why you didn't try it before!
- 1. Take a 2 inch section of hair from each side of your head close to the front.
- 2. Loosely braid each side and secure with a tiny clear elastic.
- 3. When you are done, pull each side up and over to the opposite side to create a headband.
- 4. Hide the ends underneath the braids and pin with bobby pins the same colour as your hair.
- 5. Gently backcomb your hair in the back to create volume to give it that soft messy look.