Groundhog Day 2011
There is only one day during the year that is devoted to rodents. Groundhog Day is a day for all rodents – whether mice, chipmunks or rats – to step up and celebrate. Punxsutawney Phil may be the star of the day, but there are many talented rodents that we all have grown to know and love. To honor rodents everywhere, there are many things you can do to celebrate Groundhog Day this February 2.
Groundhog Day always falls on February 2. The popular myth is, if Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow at Gobblers Knob in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania on the morning of Groundhog Day, Phil will go back in his hole, and we'll have six more weeks of winter. If it's cloudy outside, and he doesn't see his shadow, spring will come early.
This Groundhog Day, tune into the Disney Channel to see the most famous rodent of all - Mickey Mouse! Mickey has become an icon for The Walt Disney Company. He was created in 1928 by Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks and voiced by Walt Disney. The Walt Disney Company celebrates his birth as November 18, 1928, when the Steamboat Willie cartoon was released, even though Mickey had already appeared six months earlier in Plane Crazy (maybe because Steamboat Willie was the first Mickey Mouse Cartoon with sound). Since then, Mickey’s become one of the most recognizable symbols in the world. You could say he’s the big cheese!
Groundhog Day Movies
If you haven’t seen the film Groundhog Day starring comedian b>Bill Murray, February 2 is the perfect date to watch it! Or, if you’re more into animation, check out Pixar’s Ratatouille, about Remy, a young, ambitious rat who longs to be a top chef – and goes through all sorts of trouble to achieve his dream!
Alvin & The Chipmunks: The Squeakuel Video Game
Alvin And The Chipmunks: The Squeakquel brings the world’s smallest and most mischievous musical acts to Nintendo Wii/DS. The video game lets you play as either Alvin And The Chipmunks or their girl-group rivals, The Chipettes, in a variety of pulse-pounding concert locations that will challenge your rhythmic skills to the limit. Feature in a dramatic finale performance to win the hearts and minds of fans at Hollywood’s Super Duper Dome.
Game features include:
- Enjoy playing as your favorite loveable, but mischievous, singing groups from the cartoon series and movies in a unique storyline.
- Freedom to switch between unlocked locations with the associated music tracks which feature either The Chipmunks (Alvin, Simon, Theodore) or The Chipettes (Brittany, Jeannette, Eleanor), or a duet by both the bands, each with their own distinct personalities.
- Prove you have rhythm and timing in the main game and in 3 micro-games utilizing the Wii Remote and Nunchuk with Wii and stylus with Nintendo DS.
- Features the Grammy Award and American Music Award winning songs from the Alvin and the Chipmunks library, each song’s difficulty based on such things as tempo and complexity.
- Jet across the world and rock the house in 1 of 25 concert locations on Wii and 1 of 11 concert locations on Nintendo DS in cities like New York, London and Sydney.
- 2 global modes of difficulty, Normal and Expert, are available for replay and can be changed anytime during your game.
- Multiplayer Party mode lets you play as your favorite Chipmunk or Chipette and compete locally with up to 2 friends on Wii and collaborate locally with up to 3 friends on Nintendo DS.
- Play your favorite unlocked songs while watching the music videos in Jukebox Mode.
- Earn attendance records by filling stadiums with thousands of adoring fans.
HAPPY GROUNDHOG DAY!