Gleeful Jenna Talks Fashion, Castmates and More!
By: Lynn Barker
Cute Jenna Ushkowitz plays Tina Cohen-Chang on Glee. She's been linked with co-star Kevin McHale, who plays Artie, and in this interview, she explains their relationship, talks award-show fashion and plans, gives beauty tips and dishes on the cast and show.
Kidzworld: What has been your fave number to do on the show?
- Jenna: Lady Gaga. Ryan [Murphy, show co-creator] is very gracious. I had said, “I love Lady Gaga, please put her on the show!” So he put the songs on as a tribute episode and Tina was actually pretty heavy in that episode, which I was very grateful for.
Kidzworld: But we hear that you love Britney [Spears]. True?
- Jenna: I shouldn’t reveal this, but I love Britney more. Britney was my Madonna. I grew up with Britney and I still listen to Britney. I love her so I’m thrilled to be doing this episode right now.
Kidzworld: Are there any pet peeves you have with any cast-mates?
- Jenna: We’re a family and we totally tick each other off and probably on purpose. Cory hates when we stick our tongue out at him and we do this crazy little thing. Amber is a prankster. We love annoying each other, but it’s all in good fun.
Kidzworld: And the rumors about you and Kevin?
- Jenna: Kevin is my best friend. I love him to death and we’re all a big family. I’ve been reading tabloids since I was little. You read about all these couple like the Lea and Cory one and the me and Kevin one and all of these. It’s just bound to happen.
Kidzworld: And the pictures of you two together?
- Jenna: [She looks embarrassed and starts laughing] We were in Monaco on the beach. We were having a good time. We’re extremely close. It was all in good fun.
Kidzworld: Have you picked out an Emmy dress yet?
- Jenna: I’m working on it. I feel like it’s going to be a repeat of the Golden Globes where it gets down to the last two weeks. You’ll know. I’m getting there.
Kidzworld: Is there a certain style or look you’re going for?
- Jenna: Just young, vibrant, comfortable. It’s a long ceremony so you definitely want to be comfortable. I think I’m going to stay away from black because I love little black dresses and have too many so I’ll probably stay away from that one.
Kidzworld: What are you looking forward to singing or dancing this year?
- Jenna: I really love doing the scenes with Kevin and Jane and everybody. I really love the acting side of it because it’s something different for me. I look forward to more of the love triangle with Artie and Tina. I would love to do more songs. There all kinds of amazing ones we’ve covered so far. I would love to see some Billy Joel or some Elton John.
Kidzworld: What’s s specific beauty product you always use and why?
- Jenna: Kiehl’s moisturizer. It’s a go-to every morning and always before bed. It just keeps everything moisturized and fresh looking. I’m from New York and it’s always humid yet extremely dry.
Kidzworld: Emmy night is also Lea [Michele]’s birthday. What will you do to celebrate?
- Jenna: I mean that’s pretty big. That’s a pretty big party for her. It’s my mom’s birthday, too.
Kidzworld: Are you bringing her to the Emmys?
- Jenna: I’m going to try. She’s in NY so we’re going to see what happens, but that would be nice.
Kidzworld: What expectations does the cast have for Emmy night?
- Jenna: We’re a little nervous, but I think that’s a good thing. It keeps us grounded and I’m just excited to go. It’s a ceremony I’ve watched my entire life every year so to be in the same room as some of those people it’s kind of mind blowing. That’s what I’m most nervous about. I’ll probably get star struck.
Kidzworld: What will you do to fit in that Emmy dress?
- Jenna: I do a lot of yoga four or five times a week when I’m not working. I try to at least get three while I’m working. And diet? I’m not going to do anything extreme for the actual Emmys but watermelon and asparagus I hear is an anti-bloating trick so maybe the morning of.
Kidzworld: What food is irresistible for you?
- Jenna: Sushi and Katsuya in L.A. is my go to. We all love it there.
Kidzworld: What’s your secret to shiny and healthy hair?
- Jenna: Luckily I do have Asian hair so I’m not going to lie or brag that I take very good care of my hair. I just use a nice deep conditioner every couple of weeks. I like using Matrix Biolage color care.
Kidzworld: Have you ever colored your hair?
- Jenna: Yes! This is not my natural color. This is way darker than my natural color. I had highlights over the summer. They were blond. I like to do something over hiatus. I got highlights, Lea cut her bangs, Amber has a different look every week.
Kidzworld: Which young celeb has the best style and why?
- Jenna: Dakota Fanning and definitely the Modern Family kids. Those girls know how to keep it fresh and young at the same time which is good.
More Hollywood Interviews!