Jordana Beatty is Judy Moody
By: Lynn Barker
We’re with the teen star of Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer.
Who has messy red hair, a wild wardrobe and thinks up all kinds of challenges for herself and her BFFs? It’s Judy Moody and books about the character have entertained kids and young teens all over the world.
Now, Judy and pals come to life in the new movie Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer..
Cute 13-year-old natural redhead Jordana Beatty was cast as Judy after a world-wide talent search and Kidzworld is with her in Beverly Hills finding out how an Aussie kid landed a lead role in a big American film and much more.
Kidzworld: Is your mom an actress?
- Jordana Beatty: She used to be when she was a child.
Kidzworld: Was that why you wanted to be an actress?
- Jordana: I did my first commercial when I was four years old. Then I did more commercials and always enjoyed being on set and I did some other TV shows in Australia and then this came along and this was exciting.
Kidzworld: You read the Judy Moody books before or after getting the part?
- Jordana: I’d read some before I auditioned and read the rest after and I read some during.
Kidzworld: How were you picked for the role? They were looking for their Judy all over the world.
- Jordana: I sent in a tape and then I did an audition on Skype. The Skype was kind of like a call-back. Then I did it (auditioned) another time and another time and it was looking more promising each time. Then I came to the U.S. and then I had packed clothes for at least five months' worth so I got it.
Kidzworld: Do you have a group of close friends at home like Judy does? If so, what do you do with them in the summer?
- Jordana: I go to a regular school and in the summer I go to the beach a lot with my family which is cool but my friends and I go to the occasional movie together, each other’s birthday parties and we hang out a lot at school too.
Kidzworld: Judy has a pretty cool and fun teacher in Mr. Todd. Have you had a cool teacher and what do they do that is cool?
- Jordana: I wouldn’t say I’ve had a favorite teacher because a lot of my teachers have been really cool but my geography teacher this year is cool. I’m in 7th grade and it’s the first time I’ve taken geography. I really like her because she’s so much fun to be with and she lets people listen to their i-pods, not all the time. I don’t but she’s high-spirited and she teaches in a fun way.
Kidzworld: Do you ever tend to over-plan things like Judy does or do you just let life happen?
- Jordana: I don’t plan everything. I just plan the occasional thing so I’d say I’m in the middle between the two. I try to make the best of the situation (if plans fail).
Kidzworld: Judy’s Bride of Frankenstein outfit was funny and cool. Did you keep any of that? Also, Judy’s clothes are pretty colorful and wild and kind of mis-matched. Did you keep anything from wardrobe?
- Jordana: I don’t think I kept anything from Bride of Frankenstein but I collected bits and pieces of the wardrobe. I collected a few jackets and some pants and t-shirts and I got a lot of the Converse tennis shoes (Chucks). It looks like Judy got dressed in the dark sometimes!
Kidzworld: How was working with Heather Graham as Judy’s Aunt Opal? Was she like a big kid?
- Jordana: She’s definitely a lot of fun to be around and she would make jokes on set and have a lot of fun and play games. Dancing was great.
Kidzworld: Were you really walking on a rope over a stream in one scene? That looked dangerous.
- Jordana: Yes, I was but I was on wires so I didn’t fall. They built that stream because it was hard to find a stream in the middle of Los Angeles in the summer. It’s man made. You can lose your balance and be dangling there.
Kidzworld: What is your favorite scene and the scene you wouldn’t like to do over because it was so hard?
- Jordana: Three favorites; the dancing, the tightrope and the circus and my least favorite was being on the rollercoaster because that was scary and the fake puke was really disgusting. I didn’t want to know what that was. I wouldn’t want to do that again.
Kidzworld: Have you ever gotten sick on a ride like Frank does in the movie?
- Jordana: I’ve never gotten sick and thrown up but I got dizzy after. It was one of those rides where you stand and it spins really fast and you don’t move your body. I was dizzy and had a headache for the rest of the day.
Kidzworld: Have you ever pulled a silly prank like Judy does?
- Jordana: I’ve pulled a few. Once I stuck Bandaids all over this guy’s back and he didn’t know. Then I put red eye shadow on the cameraman’s eyepiece and when he put his eye down.. all red. That wasn’t even my idea. That was the slateman’s idea. That was fun.
Kidzworld: Are you artistic with crafts like Judy and Opal are? What did you make that was cool?
- Jordana: I’ve done a lot of school projects that are really artistic. One was on the Australian gold rush, all decorated. It had all these cool art supplies and sequins on it so it looked really pretty. Also, I wouldn’t say I’m the best drawer but a love painting as well.
Kidzworld: You made great friends with the other actors playing Judy’s friends. What did you all do together off-set while making the movie?
- Jordana: Yeah. We all had to go to school on set but we had a lot of fun in school. We made up this dance and our own little games to play on set. We still keep in touch and e-mail.
Kidzworld: What is your pet peeve about guys? Like, if you are hanging out with a guy, what must he never do if he wants to be around you again?
- Jordana: I don’t like when they start talking about stuff that a girl might not understand like video games or TV shows that I have no idea about.
Kidzworld: Judy has really messy hair. Was wearing your hair messy annoying for you or kind of fun?
- Jordana: Well, I would come to set every day and they would mess it all up so that was weird. For the rest of the day they would keep messing it up and making the curl (Judy’s signature curl).
Kidzworld: What musical artists or bands are you into right now?
- Jordana: I like Katy Perry and Miley Cyrus and basically whatever is on the radio at the moment.
Kidzworld: Is there another character in a book or a person in history you would like to play some day?
- Jordana: Maybe I would like to play a hero like Amelia Earhart.
Kidzworld: Is there any type of movie you hope to do next?
- Jordana: A mystery could be cool.