Gretchen Bleiler Bio
- Name: Gretchen Bleiler
- Height: 5 ft 5 inches
- Weight: 126 lbs
- Age: 30 years old
- Birthday: April 10, 1981
- Place of Birth: Toledo, Ohio
- Sport: Snowboarding
- Specialty: Superpipe
Courtesy of dailynightly.msnbc.msn.com
Gretchen Blieiler may have an exotic name but this phenomenal snowboarder considers herself a Midwestern girl. She was born in Toledo, Ohio and grew up in Dayton until she was ten years old. Her life changed when her family moved to Aspen, Colorado where there were “Avalanche Danger” days that kept her from going to school. She climbed 14,000-foot peaks as part of her school days, so she learned to snowboard.
“From day one, snowboarding lead me down a totally different path and it’s that path that’s kept me laughing and continually intrigued. I love the satisfaction at the end of the day of over coming my fears, of spending all day outside working hard, and there’s nothing better than the feeling of landing a new trick for the first time.” Says Gretchen on her website gretchenbleiler.com
Courtesy of sports-99.blogspot.com
Gretchen made her childhood dream of going to the Olympics come true through snowboarding. Snowboarding gave her the freedom to travel and learn about the world. Her journeys have inspired her to get involved in making a positive impact on changing the world.
Along with Aspen/Snowmass, Gretchen created the first-ever all-girls halfpipe competition and photo shoot called the Snow Angels Invitational. She is an active spokesperson in climate change and am involved with the Women’s Sports Foundation.
Awards and Accomplishments
Courtesy of stanton-company.com
Along with 4 gold medals at the X Games and an Olympic Silver medal in 2006, here is a short list of some other major awards that Gretchen has received for her awesomeness:
• Nominated for 2009, 2008 and 2007 Teen Choice Award: Best Female Action Sports Athlete
• 2008 ESPY Women’s Action Sports Athlete of the Year
• 2008 Winner of National Geographic Adventurer of the Year Spirit Award
• Nominated for 2008 and 2007 Teen Choice Awared: Best Female Action Sports Athlete
• Voted 2006 Female Snowboarder of the Year at Fuel’s inaugural Action Sports Awards
• Nominated for 2006 ESPY Award
• Won 2004 and 2008 Colorado “Female Athlete of the Year” Award
• Earned Transworld Snowboarding’s 2004 Reader’s Choice Award
• Nominated for 2004 Laureus “Female Action Sports Athlete” Award
• Named Snowboarder and Transworld Snowboarding 2003 “Female Rider of the Year”
Did you know...
Courtesy of digitalminx.com
Gretchen has a lot of passions. Here are some of her favorite things:
- Surfing in warm tropical places
- Mountain biking in Aspen
- Designing her signature apparel line with Oakley
- Spending time with my family.
- Shaun White Bio
- 2010 Snowboarding Fashion
- 5 women to watch in Women's Snowboarding
- More Action Sports