Ayla Kell Q&A
Ayla Kell stars in ABC’s hit teen gymnastics drama Make It or Break It as Payson Keeler. The show has just entered its third season and her character is set to steal the scene. Find out more in the Kidzworld Q&A with Ayla Kell!
KW: You started performing at a very young age, what was it like getting your first role?
- Ayla: When you start so young you don’t really think of it as going to work you just get to go and like play around all day and that’s really what it was but being in an opera was so fun cause the stage is so big and all the singing and everything –it was so much fun to do as a kid.
KW: You’re on the show Make It of Break It, were you surprised to get the part?
- Ayla: Yes and no. I was really excited when I got the script because it was so close to my own life and I knew that I could bring a lot to the character and then when I booked it I just basically did myself.
KW: So do you think you and your character are really similar?
- Ayla: I think what I went through with dance and everything its so similar to the storyline that it was really easy to make it reality.
KW: What would you like to see happen for your character in the future?
- Ayla: Well this season was really fun because my character really branched out and became a woman, she got a boyfriend for the first time and it really changed everything for her, it was new for her, she never had that, it forced her to look at herself in a new way. As the season went on this year she got more and more comfortable with herself to point where her routine was something she never thought she would’ve been able to do.
KW: You trained as a ballerina, do you miss dancing as much as you used to?
- Ayla: Obviously I miss it, but I still do it a lot and thanks to the show I have to keep in shape just because I constantly have a new floor routine or something like that. I always keep it up to date and always dance but its not like it used to be - it used to be to the point where I was like, tearing my body.
KW: What advice do you have for other kids who are in dance right now?
- Ayla: The number one thing is take care of yourself because I don’t think especially when you’re young you realize the amount of damage you do to your body by forcing things and not eating the way you should. There’s a million things people do, and when you’re cutting calories to the point where you’re burning muscle off you’re not doing the right thing. You need to be eating steadily and need to make sure keeping your core ready and strong with yoga or pilates, it helps your posture for everything you do.
KW: What is the funniest or weirdest job since starting acting?
- Ayla: The weirdest acting job is I ever had is I did a commercial for Pringles where I was playing the accordion.
KW: You have some interesting hobbies, can you tell us about them?
- Ayla: I am a huge baker, I love my baking and I’m certified to do it, and I cook like nobody’s business, I am constantly in the kitchen
KW: You’re involved with a charity that prevents child homelessness, tell us how you became involved
- Ayla: Imagine LA, they kind of found me in a way, I had seen them around and I have heard about them from my pastor at church because they’re affiliated with my church as well and when I booked the show it kind of worked out that I hit them up and said 'hey I would like to do some work with you guys' and the guy who runs it said 'my daughter who is a huge fan of the show', so I was like oh great! You know who I am! I wanna help out!
KW: What is something most people don’t know about you
- Ayla: I don’t like wearing pants, not that I’m walking around naked, it’s not like that, I just wear dresses and skirts about 98% of the time. People don’t understand when I say this, but people who wear dresses a lot understand it, I feel really restricted in jeans to the point where I can’t do things, but in dress I can do anything.
KW: Who would you like to work with most in your industry?
- Ayla: I would love love love to work with Jon Hamm, I am obsessed with him, and the other person is Sally Fields. I’m also obsessed with Downton Abbey.
Movie: Adam’s Rib, with Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracey
Book: Catcher in the Rye
Color: Purple, it’s my character’s color too, sometimes I have to detox on purple a bit and then I can come back to it.
Have You Say
Do you watch Make it of Break It? Let us know in the comments section below!