Usher Fun Facts!
R&B superstar Usher has won Grammys and topped the charts with his unforgettably catchy ballads and smooth dance moves, and he’s even branched out into acting! Find out more about the multitalented performer in Usher Fun Facts!
Did You Know...
- He was born Usher Terry Raymond IV in Dallas, Texas
- His birthday is October 14, 1978
- Spent most of his childhood in Chattanooga
- He first started singing as a kid in a local church choir in Chattanooga
- When he was 11 he joined a singing quintet called NuBegginings
- His family moved to Atlanta, Georgia so he could pursue music as a teenager
- He has a younger half-brother, James
- Competed on Star Search when he was 13, where he was spotted by an agent at LaFace Records
- His mother, Jonetta Patton, quit her job as a medical technician to manage his career until 2007
- His single “You Make Me Wanna” off of the album My Way was his first to reach number one on the charts and go gold and platinum
- You Make Me Wanna" won the Best Male R&B/Soul Single at the 1999 Soul Train Awards
- “U Remind Me” and “U Got it Bad” off the album 8701 each topped the Billboard Charts for 6 weeks
- Made his acting debut on the show Moesha
- He also starred in The Faculty, She’s All That and Light it Up
- He was in the soap opera The Bold and the Beautiful
- 8701 went 4 times platinum in the U.S.
- In 2002 he won a Grammy for Best Male R&B Performance
- Confessions came out in 2004 and sold over 10 million copies in the U.S. winning a Recording Industry Artist Award, it had the highest first week sales of an album by any R&B artist
- He dated TLC singer Rozonda ‘Chilli’ Thomas for 2 years, many thought that Confessions was written about her
- He started US Records and signed pop sensation Justin Bieber
- He is part of owner of the Cleveland Cavaliers basketball team
- Usher became the first artist to top the Billboard Hot 100 Airplay with four consecutive number-one singles
- Appeared in 2001 movie Texas Rangers
- His 6th studio album Raymond Vs. Raymond debuted at number 1 on the charts
- Usher is involved with several restaurants
- He released Looking 4 Myself June 2012-08-06
- He married girlfriend Tameka Foster in 2007, they have two children together and divorced in 2009
- Founded New Look, a charity that encourages young people to get real world work experience and the charity went on to create Our Block, an initiative to help rebuild New Orleans neighborhoods
Have Your Say
Do you like Usher? Let us know in the comments section below.