Pet Memorial Day
Many people consider their pets to be their best friends and members of their family, and losing a beloved furry friend is difficult experience to go through. National Pet Memorial Day, a day dedicated to our special animal pals that have passed away, falls on September 9th 2012. Find out more about Pet Memorial Day.
How Did it Start?
National Pet Memorial Day was started by The International Association of Pet Cemeteries and Cremoratories as a special day to honor the lives and loss of our littlest BFFs who have passed on. It always falls on the second Sunday of September and is time where you can reflect on everything that you loved about your pets and what they have added to your life.
How Can I Remember My Pets’ Memory?
- Have a moment of silence with your family for your cherished pet.
- Take time with your family to share favorite stories and memories of your pet.
- Visit your pet’s burial site.
- Hold a memorial service at a pet cemetery, your back yard or anywhere that was special to your animal companion.
- Volunteer at an animal center to help other animals in need.
- Light a candle for your departed pet or pets.
- Create a living memorial by planting a tree, bush or flower in their honor.
- Find a photo of you and your pet and put it on frame, mount it on the wall or put it in your locker.
- Create a collage of photos of your pets.
- Write a letter to your lost pet.
- Write a song or a poem about them.
However you choose to remember your pet, just do something that reminds you of how much they added to your life.
Check out this adorable viral vid about teasing a canine companion!
Have Your Say
Have you ever lost a pet? Let us know in the comments section below.