Renesmee Remembers: Mackenzie Foy
By: Lynn Barker
Mackenzie Foy, who will be 12 in November, was a child model with ads for Polo, Ralph Lauren, The Gap and the Disney company. She started acting in various TV shows including “R.L.Stine’s The Haunting Hour” but got her big break landing the role of Bella and Edward’s half human, half vampire daughter Renesmee.
With Breaking Dawn 2 coming out soon, we got a few on set tidbits and more from the pretty young starlet. You can also catch Mackenzie later on in the film Wish You Well about a family in the 1940’s and Conjuring, a spooky haunting movie.
Kidzworld: Can you talk about meeting Rob and Kristen and Taylor?
- Mackenzie: The first time I met Rob and Kristen, I was in the hair and make-up chair. I think they were getting their hair done. I said “Hi, my name’s Mackenzie”. Then they just said “Hi, Mackenzie”. I met Taylor on the first day of filming; the first day that I got to be on camera and we were doing a scene together.
Kidzworld: How would you describe Renesmee to people who don’t know anything about her?
- Mackenzie: She’s very kind. She also is shy. She is half vampire. She grows really fast. One hour she’ll be a baby and the next, a toddler. It’s weird. She’s really, really smart. She can be like seven and know as much as I do.
Mackenzie with Kristen
Kidzworld: We heard that you weren’t allowed to read the books but you saw the first two movies. Why was that?
- Mackenzie: I wasn’t old enough then. I thought the movies were really cool.
Kidzworld: What was your favorite scene to film?
- Mackenzie: Riding Jacob wolf. I really liked that one. It wasn’t really Taylor but like a furry mechanical bull without the head.
Mackenzie on the mechanical "Jacob wolf"
Kidzworld: Weird but fun! Did you do anything when the cameras weren’t rolling with Kristen or Rob or Taylor?
- Mackenzie: I went hiking with Kristen and that was really fun and me and Taylor, we were playing games. My mom showed him “Moron Test” on her i-phone and they were just sitting there playing that forever. It was really funny.
Mackenzie with Kristen, Rob and Taylor
Kidzworld: Are you home-schooled and what grade are you in?
- Mackenzie: I am home-schooled and I’m in 6th grade. It’s just school though. Not too exciting.
Kidzworld: What’s your favorite subject?
- Mackenzie: History. It’s just so interesting. I’d like to be in Roman times. (The women) looked so cool in their outfits and headband things.
Kidzworld: We hear that there was a swear jar on set around you in case the adult cast started cursing. True?
- Mackenzie: Yeah. I started hearing some “oopsies” around set and I decided to start the swear jar; just a container with stickers on it. Actually they wanted to do it. They had a problem and needed some help. Somebody sweared a lot but I’m not going to say who.
Mackenzie on set
Kidzworld: Taylor is into martial arts and so are you, right?
- Mackenzie: Yeah, when I met him I think I was a blue belt. Now I’m a junior black belt. We did do push-ups together. I don’t know who did the most but I remember doing a lot. I tried to play football. He’d throw it really high and far. I’d catch it and throw about four inches.
Kidzworld: What do you and your friends do when you aren’t making a movie?
- Mackenzie: We just hang out at Tae Kwon Do or sometimes they’ll come over and we’ll do some crafts.
Kidzworld: Anything funny or embarrassing happen to you on set?
- Mackenzie: I tripped and fell a lot but I do that all the time so that’s nothing. I’d stumble and they’d have to start over.
Kidzworld: What music are you into?
Christmas with Kristen and Taylor