Catching Fire's Willow Shields Interview
Willow Shields first won our hearts as Katniss Everdeen's sweet-tempered sister Primrose in The Hunger Games. The starlet reprised her role for the sequel The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, coming out November 22nd across North America - find out more in Willow's exclusive Kidzworld Interview!
KW: Where are you from? Tell us a bit about it.
- Willow: Well I was born in and grew up in New Mexico, I have a sister and an older brother.
KW: How did you get the role of Primrose Everdeen in The Hunger Games movies?
- Willow: I was ten, and I just got an audition out of the blue, and then I did it and sent it and then a couple weeks later they were like we want you to fly into L.A. and meet the director and the casting director, and then I went to L.A. and I auditioned a couple different ways for them and the director told me right after that I got the part!
KW: Were you a fan of the books before you auditioned, had you heard of them?
- Willow: You know, I was in the middle of reading the first book when I got the audition.
KW: What's your favorite scene in all of the books?
- Willow: I can't say that I have a favorite scene, but my favorite book is definitely Catching Fire.
KW: That must have been exciting then to film the last installment if it's your favorite of the books!
- Willow: Yes!
KW: What was the best scene to film?
- Willow: My favorite scene to film in Catching Fire was a scene where me and my mom were tending to [someone hurt], and in rehearsals we didn't rehearse it a lot so it was just chaos and just a lot of fun.
KW: What is it like working with Jennifer Lawrence?
- Willow: Jenn is amazing and she's so talented and always super sweet and hilarious, it's fun to go to work around her she's down to earth and very chill on set but totally crazy at the same time.
KW: And what is Josh Hutcherson like to work with?
- Willow: Josh is really fun, super outgoing, really funny too, very talktative and super sweet and fun to hang out with.
KW: You have a sister yourself, a twin sister, did that make it easier to connect with your character (Primrose)?
- Willow: Yeah, I found it easier to connect in that way and think in that way, like what if it was reality.
KW: Do you think you're similar to Prim?
- Willow: I would consider myself similar to Prim, but she lives in such a different world that its hard to create a lot of connections between, but we're pretty alike?
KW: How did your friends and family feel when they found out you got this role?
- Willow: They were super excited, my brother was a big fan of the books before and everyone was really surprised and happy for me.
KW: So you've read the end of the last book, how do you feel about what happens to Prim?
- Willow: I don't really know how to feel yet, it's the way Suzanne Collins wrote it and I totally respect how she wrote it, and when it comes time to film it will be interesting, I feel like it wouldn't be the same series without all these things that happen at the end. I think it's not good, but it's her ending to the whole story and it just couldn't be any other way.
Check out the trailer for Catching Fire below!
Have Your Say
Are you excited for Catching Fire to come out? Let us know in the comments section below!