Hang Ten With Surf Sister
One of my fave pastimes is hangin' ten, so I decided to check out Surf Sister Surf School in Tofino, Canada. Get the 411 on this West Coast wave wonderland!
Tofino, British Columbia, Canada
Best Time To Go:
If you're a beginner, you'll want to head to Tofino in the summer when the water's warmest and the waves are smallest. Surf Sister is open year round though, for those of you who are interested in braving the winter weather - and waves!
- Surf Sister Surf School is the only all-girl surf school in Canada.
- All of the instructors are true blue surfin' girls who've been practicing the sport for years and have even won some pretty big competitions. Plus, they're all super-friendly and really know how to make your first (or second or third,) surf experience a great one!
- You can head on over to Surf Sister for one lesson, a weekend clinic or even a mother/daughter camp.
- Throughout your lessons at Surf Sister, you'll have an instructor with ya, showing you which waves are worth trying to catch, how to avoid collisions with fellow surfers and how to maintain your surfer babe look by not getting a board in the face.
- Surf Sister is a little off the beaten path so it does take a while to get there. You need to take a ferry from Vancouver and then drive for about three hours to get to the surf school.
- Just a single lesson feels a bit short, so you are better opting for a two-day clinic, or specialized camp, if you really want to learn the sport.
Dollars and Cents:
- A single, two-hour lesson costs $75+taxes CDN per person. This includes rental of your surfboard and wetsuit.
- A two-day clinic will cost you $195+taxes CDN, per person.
- Five-day camps, like the mother/daughter or teen camps, cost $495+taxes CDN, per person. These camps are limited, so you'll have to call early to reserve a spot!
- Surfing 101
- Quiz! Test Your Surfing I.Q.
- Quiz the Coach - I Want To Surf!
- Take Things To The Xtreme!