Peyton Manning Biography
Birthdate: March 26, 1976
Birthplace: New Orlesnas, Louisianna
Growing up in New Orleans, Peyton had football in his blood. His dad, Archie Manning, was a star quarterback with the New Orleans Saints and was the color commentator for the team's radio station. When Peyton Manning was 15, his dad took him to an off-season practice with the Saints. Peyton joined the workouts with the team, and even threw to the Saints' receivers as they ran drills. It was a sign that Peyton had a big career in football ahead of him. As a kid, Peyton Manning played baseball, basketball and football with his two brothers, Cooper and Eli. But when Manning entered high school, he decided to focus on football. Peyton was the starting quarterback for Isidore Newman High and passed for 7,207 yards, with 92 touchdowns over three seasons.
After his outstanding high school career, Peyton decided to play college football at the University of Tennessee. In four seasons as the starting QB for the Volunteers, Peyton set 33 school records and he became the first Tennessee player to have his jersey retired. In 1998, Peyton Manning was the runner-up for the Heisman Trophy, as the top college football player, and was selected first overall by the Indianapolis Colts in the 1998 NFL Draft. That same year, Peyton married his college girlfriend, Ashley.
In the NFL
Since becoming the starting quarterback for the Indianapolis Colts, Peyton Manning has put up mind-boggling numbers. He's the first quarterback to throw more than 4,000 yards in five straight seasons and he's been to the Pro Bowl six times. The big blemish on Peyton Manning's pro career was that he failed to win a Super Bowl for the Colts during those years. In 2003 and 2004, Peyton Manning won the NFL MVP but couldn't get the Colts past the New England Patriots in the playoffs. But in 2005, the Colts went into the playoffs as favorites after starting the season with 13 straight victories. Although they fell short that year, Peyton finally got his ring the next year as he led the Colts to a Super Bowl championship!
Did U Know?
- Peyton's neighbors when he was growing up in New Orleans included novelist Anne Rice and Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails.
- Peyton's brother, Eli Manning, is the starting quarterback for the New York Giants.
- Peyton helped establish the Peyback Foundation - an organization designed to help underpriviledged children all over America.
- Peyton played for the Indianapolis Colts for 14 seasons from 1998 to 2011.
- In 2012 Peyton signed a 5 year contract with the Denver Bronoco's worth $96 million.
"You've got to remember what your priorities are. When you're playing, what you do on the field is the most important thing."
- Tony Romo Biography
- Matt Hasselbeck Biography
- LaDainian Tomlinson Biography
- More Bios of Your Fave Athletes!