-
x

Meet New Friends!

Recommended friends are based on your interests. Make sure they are up to date.

Friends ff8c072dd79a91c1300f032d674241a8d64367100ffb1f25fa3f9bec4a05319f
Kidzworld Logo

All About the Great Lakes

The Great Lakes are a group of five huge freshwater lakes between the United States and Canada. Here's the 411 you need on the greatest lakes of all.

Great Lake - Lake Superior

Lake Superior is the largest freshwater lake in the world. It's 31,820 square miles (82,414 square km), 350 miles (563 km) long and 160 miles (257 km) at its widest part. Lake Superior is bordered on the west by Minnesota, on the north and east by Ontario, Canada, and on the south by Michigan and Wisconsin. Lake Superior is also the deepest of the Great Lakes; it's 1,302 feet (397 m) at it's deepest! Lake Superior drains into Lake Huron through the St. Mary's River and receives the waters of many small streams. The water in Lake Superior is generally less polluted than the other Great Lakes - a US-Canadian pact was established to prevent pollution in 1972.

Great Lake - Lake Erie

Lake Erie is the fourth largest (or second smallest) of the great lakes. It's 9,940 square miles (25,745 square km), 241 miles (388 km) long and 57 miles (92 km) wide at its widest point. It's bordered on the north by Ontario, Canada, on the east by New York, on the south by Pennsylvania and Ohio, and on the west by Michigan. It is the shallowest of the Great Lakes, with a maximum depth of 210 feet (64 m), making it the only one with a floor above sea level. Lake Erie is part of the Great Lakes-St. Lawrence Seaway system and is linked to Lake Huron and to Lake Ontario by the Niagara River, which is Lake Erie's only natural outlet.

Great Lake - Lake Huron

Lake Huron is the second largest of the Great Lakes. It's 23,010 square miles (59,596 square km), 206 miles (332 km) long and 183 miles (295 km) at its greatest width. Lake Huron sits between Ontario, Canada and Michigan. At it's deepest, Lake Huron is 750 feet (229 m). Lake Huron receives the waters of Lake Superior through the St. Mary's River and those of Lake Michigan and drains into Lake Erie.

Great Lake - Lake Ontario

Lake Ontario is the smallest and lowest of the Great Lakes. It's 7,540 square miles (19,529 square km), 193 miles (311 km) long and 53 miles (85 km) at its widest. Lake Superior sits between Ontario, Canada and New York. Lake Ontario is mainly fed by the waters of Lake Erie, which are transported via the Niagara River. Lake Ontario drains into the St. Lawrence River.

Great Lake - Lake Michigan

Lake Michigan is the third largest of the Great Lakes and the only one entirely within the United States. It's 22,178 square miles (57,441 square km), 307 miles (494 km) long and 120 miles (193 km) at its widest point. Lake Michigan is bordered by Michigan (duh), Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin. The lake is 923 feet (281 m) deep. It's only natural outlet is the The Straits of Mackinac, which connect the lake with Lake Huron. Many islands are found in the northern part of the lake.

Related Stories
2 Comments

Related Stories

Experience Black Water Rafting—a pitch-black underground caving adventure!
Micro snowflakes micro
Snow isn't that mysterious. It's white and cold, right? But do you even know what snowflakes are ...
Welcome to the driest place on earth. The Atacama Desert receives rain every 100 years, if at all...
F1116973282953

What Is the World's Longest River?

  • The Nile River
  • The Amazon River
  • The Colorado River
  • The Mississippi River

General In The Forums

jordand08
jordand08 posted in Say Anything:
Please stay on topic, if you have any more concerns you can comment either myself or kirsten. 
reply about 2 hours
jordand08
jordand08 posted in Say Anything:
"AlphaT" wrote: "jordand08" wrote: "AlphaT" wrote:Oh wow, a genuine trigger warning. Did the memes teach you nothing? First off, an actual warning. Take no action based on what you've read here without first consulting a mental health professional. Now, I have a lot of experience in mental illness. I have ADHD(Pre-DSMV), an anxiety disorder, and I've tested significant for bipolar (Pre-DSMV). My best advise is to find a therapist that you personally connect with. It's not about being comfortable, because a good therapist will challenge your thoughts, but you need to be able to accept those challenges. And to do that, you'll need a therapist that you mesh with. Aside from that, good medication can go a long way to helping you live with your mental issues. However, this isn't true for everyone, and it should be handled by a medical professional.  I'm sorry I found your comment rude. This post is not just about mental illnesses, and mental health is a universal thing that requires you to take care of yourself because you can't always see professionals because their isn't always easy access to them. Which is all clearly stated in the post. If you say something again on this post that's rude it will be reported I'm not sure what you mean by "rude". I mean, you found what I said to be rude, but you gave no reason why. If I don't know how to accommodate for your standards of rudeness, I feel like I'm doomed to repeat my trespass.  So, how exactly was I being rude? Your very first sentence. Yes its suppose  to be saracastic, but not everything has to be answered with as a joke, because some people take offense to it.
reply about 2 hours
AlphaT
AlphaT posted in Say Anything:
"jordand08" wrote:"AlphaT" wrote:Oh wow, a genuine trigger warning. Did the memes teach you nothing? First off, an actual warning. Take no action based on what you've read here without first consulting a mental health professional. Now, I have a lot of experience in mental illness. I have ADHD(Pre-DSMV), an anxiety disorder, and I've tested significant for bipolar (Pre-DSMV). My best advise is to find a therapist that you personally connect with. It's not about being comfortable, because a good therapist will challenge your thoughts, but you need to be able to accept those challenges. And to do that, you'll need a therapist that you mesh with. Aside from that, good medication can go a long way to helping you live with your mental issues. However, this isn't true for everyone, and it should be handled by a medical professional.  I'm sorry I found your comment rude. This post is not just about mental illnesses, and mental health is a universal thing that requires you to take care of yourself because you can't always see professionals because their isn't always easy access to them. Which is all clearly stated in the post. If you say something again on this post that's rude it will be reported I'm not sure what you mean by "rude". I mean, you found what I said to be rude, but you gave no reason why. If I don't know how to accommodate for your standards of rudeness, I feel like I'm doomed to repeat my trespass.  So, how exactly was I being rude? 
reply about 2 hours
Kirsteeeeen
thanks for posting this Kristen. I think that it is a tough subject to talk about with other people and honestly I think it's good to talk about it in a moderate amount. Now that more pepole are being diagnosed with learning differences or some sort of other mental health disorder, I think that talking about it and informing people will only make it easier for people to feel less awkward or the odd man out. That's how I found about that I am not the only person in the room who has ADD. I'm more willing to come out and talk to people and discribe what I have to go through on a daily basis to raise awareness. School will always be hard for me so I look at my strengths to help push me forward in life.  Thank you for sharing! First of all I'd like to say I admire your bravery and I hope that things continue to improve. :) I agree, talking about it in a moderate amount is useful, as is reminding ourselves that mental health starts anybody, and that coping strategies and learning to love yourself are important no matter what, inside AND outside of a situation that would require therapy. It's also definitely helpful to know you're not the only one. And that there are so many successful people who have battled the same battles and still came out on top. Again, thank you. :)
reply about 3 hours
jordand08
jordand08 posted in Say Anything:
Oh wow, a genuine trigger warning. Did the memes teach you nothing?  First off, an actual warning. Take no action based on what you've read here without first consulting a mental health professional.  Now, I have a lot of experience in mental illness. I have ADHD(Pre-DSMV), an anxiety disorder, and I've tested significant for bipolar (Pre-DSMV).  My best advise is to find a therapist that you personally connect with. It's not about being comfortable, because a good therapist will challenge your thoughts, but you need to be able to accept those challenges. And to do that, you'll need a therapist that you mesh with.  Aside from that, good medication can go a long way to helping you live with your mental issues. However, this isn't true for everyone, and it should be handled by a medical professional.  I'm sorry I found your comment rude. This post is not just about mental illnesses, and mental health is a universal thing that requires you to take care of yourself because you can't always see professionals because their isn't always easy access to them. Which is all clearly stated in the post. If you say something again on this post that's rude it will be reported
reply about 3 hours