Derek Jeter Biography
Birthdate: June 26, 1974
Birthplace: Pequannock, New Jersey
Derek Jeter is a big fish in a big pond. Find out more about this baseball All Star from the New York Yankees!
Derek Jeter - Teen Sensation
At the age of four, Derek's family moved from New Jersey to Michigan. Derek started playing tee-ball at the age of five. As a child he would go back and visit his grandparents in the summer and attend Yankees games. He was a standout baseball and basketball player at Kalamazoo Central High School. He won the 1992 Gatorade High School Player of the Year Award and he was offered a baseball scholarship to the University of Michigan, but opted out to play pro baseball right away. Derek was drafted by the Yankees with the sixth overall pick in the 1992 amateur draft.
Derek Jeter - New York, New York
Derek spent three years in the minor leagues before being called up by the Yankees in May 1995. That season he played in 13 games before being sent back down. The following season, Derek spent his first full season with the Yankees, and was named the American League Rookie of the Year in 1996. Derek led the AL in hits in 1999, and the next season he became the first player ever to win the All Star Game MVP and World Series MVP in the same year. Along with a .317 career batting average, Derek has also shown the ability to be great on defense, winning three Gold Glove awards throughout his career. In 2003, the Yankees named Derek captain of the team becoming only the 11th player in Yankees history to get that honor.
Derek Jeter - Simply Unbelievable
Derek has made some of the most spectacular plays in the history of baseball. Who could forget the outstanding flip play in the 2001 AL Division Series against the Oakland A's? Jeter's diving-in-the-stands catch during a 2004 regular season game against the Boston Red Sox was one of the most memorable catches ever. On top of his nifty defensive plays, he is also known as a clutch performer. In the post season his batting average is .370.
Derek Jeter - Did U Know?
- Derek Jeter's has been linked romantically to Scarlett Johanson, Jessica Biel and Jessica Alba.
- Derek Jeter is of mixed heritage. His father is African American and his mother is Irish.
- Derek Jeter is the second highest paid baseball player with a salary of $20.6 million in 2007. He also earns $6 million a year in endorsements.
- Derek Jeter hosted Saturday Night Live in 2001.
- Derek Jeter started the Turn 2 Foundation in 1996. This charity helps children and teenagers avoid alcohol and drug addiction.
- Derek Jeter represented the United States in the first-ever World Baseball Classic in 2006.
Derek Jeter Says...
"Until you hit 1.000 and have no errors, you'll always have something to work on."
- Ryan Howard Biography
- Ivan Rodriguez Biography
- Albert Pujols Biography
- More Bios of Your Favorite Athletes!