Kw-logo-smaller

Random

Books and Comics
Love to read? Chat here with others that do as well. Your fave authors, characters, books, series or even your fave comic book!

Twilight >(

Posted By:
iwannadoyourmakeup
iwannadoyourmakeup
StarStarStarStar
So, this thread is to talk about Twilight. What's wrong with it and the like. Um, I'll wait for my friend now. -sits- Topics I'll talk about: 1. "Edward is abusive" 2. "Fantasy does not excuse a lack of realism" 3. "The books are sexist" 4. "The books (Twilight specifically) have no plot/character development" 5. "Bella and Edward are in lust, not love" 6. "Bella is an idiot (aka Meyer tells and doesn't shows)" 7. "Imprinting IS sexual no matter what (aka imprinting is sexist and pedophilic)" 8. "The Twilight books send bad messages... and yes it is a big deal." 9. "Science: Why Nessie shouldn't exist." 10. "Science: Meyer fails at it" 11. "Choice: What Feminism isn't, and what Bella doesn't have."

Twilight >(

Posted By:
iwannadoyourmakeup
iwannadoyourmakeup
StarStarStarStar
1. Edward is abusive. Support for this argument includes the following (and this is just a quick list): 1. Edward is controlling and domineering 2. Edward has an unequal share of authority over the relationship 3. Edward threatens suicide 4. Edward manipulates Bella into marriage 5. Edward actively attempts to prevent Bella from seeing her friend (removes engine, has her kidnapped) 6. Edward encourages Bella’s isolation from others Now, I’ve found that the most common argument in rebuttal for “Edward is abusive” is “But he only does it because he loves her” or “He’s trying to protect her” or “His intentions are good” or “He recognizes that he makes mistakes/overreacts”. I’m going to address these arguments in two parts. First, in terms of semantics; that is, the actual actions and consequences in the series, and second I’ll deal with the abstraction of intentions versus actions. 1. What is abuse? Obviously Edward is not abusive physically to Bella, but that doesn’t mean that he’s not still abusive. That is, he is emotionally and mentally abusive. And the fact that he’s a vampire has nothing to do with it; Meyer is portraying a relationship between two people, and given the fact that Edward has a very human psyche (i.e. he experiences human emotions (anger, ‘love’, worry), human desires (s3x), and was once in fact human) it is not a reasonable argument to simply excuse his bad behavior by simply arguing, “he’s a vampire, so it doesn’t count.” I'll continue in a moment.

Twilight >(

Posted By:
iwannadoyourmakeup
iwannadoyourmakeup
StarStarStarStar
1. Edward is abusive. Support for this argument includes the following (and this is just a quick list): 1. Edward is controlling and domineering 2. Edward has an unequal share of authority over the relationship 3. Edward threatens suicide 4. Edward manipulates Bella into marriage 5. Edward actively attempts to prevent Bella from seeing her friend (removes engine, has her kidnapped) 6. Edward encourages Bella’s isolation from others Now, I’ve found that the most common argument in rebuttal for “Edward is abusive” is “But he only does it because he loves her” or “He’s trying to protect her” or “His intentions are good” or “He recognizes that he makes mistakes/overreacts”. I’m going to address these arguments in two parts. First, in terms of semantics; that is, the actual actions and consequences in the series, and second I’ll deal with the abstraction of intentions versus actions. 1. What is abuse? Obviously Edward is not abusive physically to Bella, but that doesn’t mean that he’s not still abusive. That is, he is emotionally and mentally abusive. And the fact that he’s a vampire has nothing to do with it; Meyer is portraying a relationship between two people, and given the fact that Edward has a very human psyche (i.e. he experiences human emotions (anger, ‘love’, worry), human desires and was once in fact human) it is not a reasonable argument to simply excuse his bad behavior by simply arguing, “he’s a vampire, so it doesn’t count.” I'll continue in a moment.

Twilight >(

Posted By:
iwannadoyourmakeup
iwannadoyourmakeup
StarStarStarStar
Ok, KW is evil. I'll try this again, in parts. Edward is abusive. Support for this argument includes the following (and this is just a quick list): 1. Edward is controlling and domineering 2. Edward has an unequal share of authority over the relationship 3. Edward threatens suicide 4. Edward manipulates Bella into marriage 5. Edward actively attempts to prevent Bella from seeing her friend (removes engine, has her kidnapped) 6. Edward encourages Bella’s isolation from others

Twilight >(

Posted By:
iwannadoyourmakeup
iwannadoyourmakeup
StarStarStarStar
Now, I’ve found that the most common argument in rebuttal for “Edward is abusive” is “But he only does it because he loves her” or “He’s trying to protect her” or “His intentions are good” or “He recognizes that he makes mistakes/overreacts”. I’m going to address these arguments in two parts. First, in terms of semantics; that is, the actual actions and consequences in the series, and second I’ll deal with the abstraction of intentions versus actions.

Twilight >(

Posted By:
iwannadoyourmakeup
iwannadoyourmakeup
StarStarStarStar
Now, I’ve found that the most common argument in rebuttal for “Edward is abusive” is “But he only does it because he loves her” or “He’s trying to protect her” or “His intentions are good” or “He recognizes that he makes mistakes/overreacts”. I’m going to address these arguments in two parts.

Twilight >(

Posted By:
XxDeadlyDespairxX Lock
XxDeadlyDespairxX
StarStarStar
Didn't Shayscissorhands make a post just like this?

Twilight >(

Posted By:
iwannadoyourmakeup
iwannadoyourmakeup
StarStarStarStar

"XxDeadlyDespairxX" wrote:

Didn't Shayscissorhands make a post just like this?

??? I don't know.

Twilight >(

Posted By:
iwannadoyourmakeup
iwannadoyourmakeup
StarStarStarStar
Now, I’ve found that the most common argument for “Edward is abusive” is “But he only does it because he loves her” or “He’s trying to protect her” or “His intentions are good” or “He recognizes that he makes mistakes/overreacts”.

Twilight >(

Posted By:
iwannadoyourmakeup
iwannadoyourmakeup
StarStarStarStar
I’m going to address these arguments in two parts. First, in terms of semantics; that is, the actual actions and consequences in the series, and second I’ll deal with the abstraction of intentions versus actions.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

play online games

Candy-100

A great online version of the famous Candy Crush. This is the best game launched...

Big_icon_(7)

Have you ever fancied being a ranger like those fantasy characters you love so m...

Big_icon_(4)

You run across the city in a car chase with the police officers.

Big_icon_(6)

The evil master kidnapped all of your friends!

Big_icon_(5)

Tic Tac Toe is back!

latest forum posts

We the Kidz

We the Kidz

We the Kidz

We the Kidz

Should respect be based on age? ( I am old...

Friends

latest videos