Kw-logo-smaller

Random

Debating
Love to debate? Need a place? Choose a subject and get it going. Others will join in.

Television is better than books?

Posted By:
Elegantgirl48
Elegantgirl48
StarStarStarStar
Hi to all KW Users! Here is a topic for you all to discuss on. The topic is: Television is better than books?

Bess Marvin's

Don't u love it when book kidnaps you?!
Reading is to mind what exercise is to body -,Richard Steele

smile Frown Big Grin Tongue Out Cool Angel Hippie Love Blush

Posted By:
Midapops Lock
Midapops
StarStarStarStarStar
Television spoils kids brains. Books make them SMARTER!

I am a photography lover Big Grin
Eiffel Tower!!
Ahh.
o.o

Posted By:
Elegantgirl48
Elegantgirl48
StarStarStarStar

"Midapops" wrote:

Books are better Have you ever thought about the people who come up with ideas for movies?? Well most of them are the authors of great books. TV wastes electricity. •TV is distracting when your are doing homework and books are part of your homework There is a much greater variety of books •Now it’s ok to watch TV sometimes but it’s just not good for you all the time, reading is good for you all the time especially when you're bored or tired. •TV can have rude and immature language but books can be easily monitored •Can you bring a television into the classroom? Can you bring a television on the bus? •Books are educational. They can teach you new words. They also give you as much time as you like to take in what is on the page, but the T.V. Can’t stop for people to understand what is going on.

Bess Marvin's

Posted By:
Midapops Lock
Midapops
StarStarStarStarStar
Yep, One time I read a whole book in one day smile im a book worm

I am a photography lover Big Grin
Eiffel Tower!!
Ahh.
o.o

Posted By:
TearsInTheRain Lock
TearsInTheRain
StarStarStarStar
Frankly I've never met anyone intelligent who said TV was bad for you. 

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...

Posted By:
Elegantgirl48
Elegantgirl48
StarStarStarStar

"TearsInTheRain" wrote:

I am not saying that TV is bad. But still, books are a little better than TV.

Bess Marvin's

Posted By:
Elegantgirl48
Elegantgirl48
StarStarStarStar

"TearsInTheRain" wrote:

Hey! I am not an intelligent person. Just a normal person.

Bess Marvin's

Posted By:
Elegantgirl48
Elegantgirl48
StarStarStarStar
Bad effects of Tv on children TV provides no educational benefits for a child under age 2.  Worse, it steals time for activities that actually develop her brain, like interacting with other people and playing.  A child learns a lot more efficiently from real interaction - with people and things, rather than things she sees on a video screen. TV viewing takes away the time that your child needs to develop important skills like language, creativity, motor, and social skills.  These skills are developed in the kids’ first two years (a critical time for brain development) through play, exploration, and conversation.  Your kid’s language skills, for example, do not improve by passively listening to the TV.  It is developed by interacting with people, when talking and listening is used in the context of real life.  TV viewing numbs your kid's mind as it prevents your child from exercising initiative, being intellectually challenged, thinking analytically, and using his imagination. TV viewing takes away time from reading and improving reading skills through practice #########, 1991). ##### watching cartoons and entertainment television during pre-school years have poorer pre-reading skills at age 5 (Macbeth, 1996).  Also, kids who watch entertainment TV are also less likely to read books and other print media (Wright & Huston, 1995).   According to Speech and language expert Dr. Sally Ward, 20 years of research show that kids who are bombarded by background TV noise in their homes have trouble paying attention to voices when there is also background noise.  Kids who watch a lot of  TV have trouble paying attention to teachers because they are accustomed to the fast-paced visual stimulation on TV.  Kids who watch TV more than they talk to their family have a difficult time adjusting from being visual learners to aural learners (learning by listening).  They also have shorter attention spans. School kids who watch too much TV also tend to work less on their homework.  When doing homework with TV on the background, kids tend to retain less skill and information. When they lose sleep because of TV, they become less alert during the day, and this results in poor school performance. TV exposes your kid to negative influences, and promotes negative behavior.  TV shows and commercials usually show violence, #######, #### use and ### in a positive light.  The mind of your kid is like clay. It forms early impressions on what it sees, and these early impressions determine how he sees the world and affect his grown-up behavior.  For instance, twenty years of research has shown that children who are more exposed to media violence behave more aggressively as kids and when they are older.  They are taught by TV that violence is the way to resolve conflict – as when a TV hero beats up a bad guy to subdue him.   Kids who watch too much TV are usually overweight, according to the American Medical Association.  Kids often snack on junk food while watching TV.  They are also influenced by commercials to consume unhealthy food.    Also, they are not running, jumping, or doing activities that burn calories and increase metabolism.   Obese kids, unless they change their habits, tend to be obese when they become adults. Researchers from the University of Sydney report a link between total screen time and retinal artery width in children. Kids with lots of screen time were found to have narrow artery in their eyes, which may indicate heart risk. TV watching also affects a child’s health and athletic ability. The more television a child watches, even in the first years of life, the more likely he is to be obese and less muscularly fit, according to a study by the University of Montreal. Even though your kid does not aspire to be a football star, his athletic abilities are important not only for physical health, but predicting how physically active he will be as an adult. Good effects of Tv on children Some TV shows can educate, inform and inspire.  It can be more effective than books or audiotapes in teaching your kid about processes like how a plant grows or how to bake a cake. Studies show that kids who watch educational and non-violent children’s shows do better on reading and math tests than those who do not watch these programs.  Kids who watch informative and educational shows as preschoolers tend to watch more informative and educational shows when they get older.  They use TV effectively as a complement to school learning.  On the other hand, kids who watch more entertainment program watch fewer informative programs as they get older  (Macbeth, 1996). Preschoolers who viewed educational programs tend to have higher grades, are less aggressive and value their studies more when they reach high school, according to a long-term study (Anderson, et. al, 2001). Finally, scientists from the University of Siena found that children experience a soothing, painkilling effect by watching cartoons.  So perhaps, a little entertainment TV can be a source of relief to kids who are stressed or are in pain.

Bess Marvin's

Posted By:
TearsInTheRain Lock
TearsInTheRain
StarStarStarStar

"Elegantgirl48" wrote:

"TearsInTheRain" wrote:

I am not saying that TV is bad. But still, books are a little better than TV.

They both have their benefits and shortcomings, but in general I would put TV far ahead of books. The ability to communicate a lot of information in a brief amount of time is extremely effective. Being able to advertise your products that might otherwise go unseen, or share historic moments in real time is extremely important. Think, for example, of the moon landings. Imagine if that had only been on print and not been broadcasted around the globe on television. It wouldn't have been nearly as powerful, and might not have inspired the generations of astronauts and engineers that it did. Conversely, look at more tragic things like wars or natural disasters, things that might not affect you at home, but they touch you much more when you can see them in motion rather than reading them in print hours after it actually happens.

You get celebrities who work to entertain, or educate, or the hundreds of thousands of people who work to provide the logistics to even allow television networks to stay up and running and it's just so much larger in scope than what you can find in books. The only notable thing books have on television, as far as I'm concerned, is that they can provide more depth on a topic. But in general, television is a much better tool than a book. Much, much better. 

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...

Posted By:
mcpython
mcpython
StarStar

"Midapops" wrote:

are you completely  brain dead television is an invention in witch you can find programs of all sorts of genre including educational its childrens choice of the programs and if they choose to watch a comeidic show that is no different to them making the conscious decision to pick up a joke book my point is children CHOOSE to watch and read what THEY want

beat boxer

← Previous 1 3 4 5

play online games

Candy-100

A great online version of the famous Candy Crush. This is the best game launched...

1515_gl_kidzworld_100x100_jpg_fz

Intriguing planets, weird and wonderful characters; challenge friends and find a...

157262_(2)

When you go back to Candyland, you’ll wonder why you ever left in the first plac...

100x100_ra_logo_girl

Uncle George has left you his farm, but unfortunately it’s in pretty bad shape. ...

_thumb_100x100

Shoot blobs with different properies to merge yellow blobs. Your blobs can be re...

latest forum posts

Am I... Crazy?

is it wrong?

$ports....

favorite teams?

Should i let the populars use me

dont want to see

latest videos