Kw-logo-smaller

Dear Dish-It

Friends
Whether you’re digging them or dissing them - here’s a place to dish about your BFF's or not.

Too Shy To Talk

Posted By:
MathGeek
MathGeek
StarStar
I recently moved to a new school and made some new friends, but I am really shy. At my old school I was not shy, but at my new school, for some weird reason, I am especially shy. I have a few friends, but I can only really talk to my close friends. Whenever I try to start a conversation with someone new I always get tongue twisted and forget how to carry on a decent conversation. Any tips to help me get out of my shell? Oh and I am driven my competition.

Bookworm
Christian
Writer
Me

Too Shy To Talk

Posted By:
ValenciaRose
ValenciaRose
StarStarStarStar
well that's okay. I've just moved into year 8, and there are still some people whose names I don't know. Meeting new people means a new territory and the experience can be quite frightening. 

I guess you can just stick with your close friends, but if you really want to make new friends, here are some tips:

- Practice a conversation with a teddy bear or with your pillow case. Boost your confidence by holding your chin up high and making sure you know what to say. 
- If you're doing an activity in class, make friends by making small conversation. Just ask simple things like what's their favourite subject and say that you want to know some things about them. 
- Compliment them. I don't know about you, but if someone who's been harsh to me randomly comes up to me and says "omg, I'm so sorry for the way I've been treating you. By the way I'm so jealous of your hair and I was wondering if we could go to the movies sometime?" I would TOTALLY forgive them smile so maybe compliment the person sitting next to you about their hair, or their clothes (and if you have school uniform, don't bother) etc. 
- Be kind and helpful. If a guy/girl drops their books on the way, help them out! Be smiley and nice to everyone. 
- say "wow, have you seen this movie?" And if they say yes, continue to talk about stuff that you like.
- BE YOURSELF! Don't pretend to hate your favourite singer just because you're afraid someone will be harsh to you. And if you dislike the same music as they do, then don't be mean to them, tell them you just don't like those singers / or maybe change the topic. 
- Think positive. If things don't go your way, then don't worry, there are more people who you can talk to. And besides, you still have your closest friends & you can't be everyone's friends

✄╔╗──╔╗─╔╗
✄║╚╗╔╝║─║║
✄╚╗║║╔╩═╣║╔══╦═╗╔══╦╦══╗
✄─║╚╝║╔╗║║║║═╣╔╗╣╔═╬╣╔╗║
✄─╚╗╔╣╔╗║╚╣║═╣║║║╚═╣║╔╗║
✄──╚╝╚╝╚╩═╩══╩╝╚╩══╩╩╝╚╝
minions
family guy
paramore

Too Shy To Talk

Posted By:
JennyD
JennyD
StarStarStarStarStar
When I moved to a new school, I made some friends in the class and luckily they were popular.! Just understand that YOLO could help you even though it may seem like an old term. Make friends now.

Converse!
Converse.

Too Shy To Talk

Posted By:
MathGeek
MathGeek
StarStar
Thanks guys! I will have to try these suggestions in August. Wish me luck!

Bookworm
Christian
Writer
Me

Too Shy To Talk

Posted By:
Hayhayits_DeAnna
Hayhayits_DeAnna
StarStarStarStarStar

"ValenciaRose" wrote:

well that's okay. I've just moved into year 8, and there are still some people whose names I don't know. Meeting new people means a new territory and the experience can be quite frightening. 

I guess you can just stick with your close friends, but if you really want to make new friends, here are some tips:

- Practice a conversation with a teddy bear or with your pillow case. Boost your confidence by holding your chin up high and making sure you know what to say. 

- If you're doing an activity in class, make friends by making small conversation. Just ask simple things like what's their favourite subject and say that you want to know some things about them. 

- Compliment them. I don't know about you, but if someone who's been harsh to me randomly comes up to me and says "omg, I'm so sorry for the way I've been treating you. By the way I'm so jealous of your hair and I was wondering if we could go to the movies sometime?" I would TOTALLY forgive them smile so maybe compliment the person sitting next to you about their hair, or their clothes (and if you have school uniform, don't bother) etc. 

- Be kind and helpful. If a guy/girl drops their books on the way, help them out! Be smiley and nice to everyone. 

- say "wow, have you seen this movie?" And if they say yes, continue to talk about stuff that you like.

- BE YOURSELF! Don't pretend to hate your favourite singer just because you're afraid someone will be harsh to you. And if you dislike the same music as they do, then don't be mean to them, tell them you just don't like those singers / or maybe change the topic. 

- Think positive. If things don't go your way, then don't worry, there are more people who you can talk to. And besides, you still have your closest friends & you can't be everyone's friends

"It's funny how people say to be yourself but yet they judge you " BTW if you think I'm gay just bc I have a rainbow in my siggy I'm NOT!!! Okay?! Thank you.

Too Shy To Talk

Posted By:
Holley12
Holley12
StarStarStarStar
It's normal to feel shy. You are probably going through a thing called culture shock. It will go away as you get more comfortable in your new school. 

Too Shy To Talk

Posted By:
kira7654
kira7654
StarStarStar
When I meet new people sometimes I get too shy but I get to meet them I'm not so shy anymore

Kira7654

Too Shy To Talk

Posted By:
caitlin290
caitlin290
StarStarStar
i am always shy around everyone smile

hey, i love forum so cool

Too Shy To Talk

Posted By:
Hardly-Jeff-Hardy
Hardly-Jeff-Hardy
StarStarStarStar
To be honest I am in the same boat. I am way too shy to talk to people at school to the point where I don't have any friends.

What's your tale, nightingale?

Treat others equally and we'll get along fine.

SPOILER

play online games

Candy-100

A great online version of the famous Candy Crush. This is the best game launched...

Big_icon_(7)

Have you ever fancied being a ranger like those fantasy characters you love so m...

Hour-of-code-tumb

Millions of Students will be doing an Hour of Code with Tynker December 8th-14th...

Big_icon_(4)

You run across the city in a car chase with the police officers.

Big_icon_(6)

The evil master kidnapped all of your friends!

latest forum posts

13 and under P&R

13 and under P&R

Post a Number with your eyes closed

Type in the face you have on right now

What does your name mean?

Type in the face you have on right now

latest videos