Kw-logo-smaller

Kidzworld Help

Homework Help
Need help with math, geography, science or any other school work? Post your questions here! Or maybe you are an expert. Share you knowledge here.

Rational Zeros of Polynomial w/5 Terms

Posted By:
xXxD4r7hP4ndaxXx
xXxD4r7hP4ndaxXx
StarStarStar
6x^5+3x^4-2x^2+3x-8 I really need help with this one. I tried the Rational Zero Theorem but, either my understanding is flawed or it does not work with this polynomial. So, I figured it might be easiest to factor it. But that came up with: x(3x^3-1)(2x+1)(2x-3)-8  Which does not appear to be proper form to apply Factor Theorem: c is a zero if (x-c) is a factor of P(x). I definitely have binomial factors here but I think that the -8 negates the theorem. Does anyone know if I'm wrong or have a solution? Edit: I figured this out before it got approved (nice one mods). Solution: The Rational Zero Theorem works on this polynomial. My confusion came from a misinterpretation of the theorem. So, remember: The Rational Zero Theorem will only give possible zeros. Using the theorem I got: +/-1/6, +/-1/3, +/-1/2, +/-2/3, +/-1, +/-4/3, +/-2, +/-8/3, +/-4, +/-8 I got confused when I checked some of the values and found that most of them were not zeros of the polynomial. For anyone wondering, the Rational Zero Theorem basically says to find the factors of the constant term of the polynomial, 8 (-8 yeah but we're using |8| for the theorem) and then find the factors of the leading coefficient: 6. So now we have the factors of 8: 1, 2, 4, 8 and the factors of 6: 1, 2, 3, 6 Divide the factors of 8 by those of 6 and remove the duplicates. Now the factors of 8 and (1, 2, 4, Cool/(1, 2, 3, 6) are the possible rational zeros of 6x^5+3x^4-2x^2+3x-8

play online games

Candy-100

A great online version of the famous Candy Crush. This is the best game launched...

Big_icon_(7)

Have you ever fancied being a ranger like those fantasy characters you love so m...

Big_icon_(4)

You run across the city in a car chase with the police officers.

Big_icon_(6)

The evil master kidnapped all of your friends!

Ow_fright_ad_100x100

Explore the world or hang out with friends in your own condo. Get a unique look,...

latest forum posts

Send the person above you a friend request!

What is your biggest fear?

Telekinesis... Is it real?

Type In A Random Photo Embed Code!

What if~

Telekinesis... Is it real?

latest videos