Kw-halloween-logo-small

Protecting Your Mouth

Protective mouth guard.
Mouth Guard
Oooh....that's gotta hurt.
Mouth Injury

Every year in the United States, kids lose about five million teeth playing sports. Losing teeth may be kinda neat when you're little and trying to weasel some extra coin out of the "tooth fairy" (do parents really believe we ever fell for that crap) - but there does come a time when looking like a toothless freak isn't worth that quarter you might get under your pillow.

If you think the best way to protect yourself from losing teeth is to wear a jock strap around your head, you're wrong. Try wearing a mouth guard. Mouth guards are mandatory in most parts of North America for sports like football, boxing, ice hockey, lacrosse and field hockey. But dentists and doctors believe that you should also be wearing a mouth guard for baseball, mountain biking, skateboarding and gymnastics. Wearing a mouth guard can be a bit uncomfortable at first but it's far less painful than having teeth or mouth surgery by some trigger happy dentist with a high vibration drill.

There are three basic types of mouth guards.

It's important to clean your mouth guard with soap and warm water. Keep it in a plastic case with lots of holes so it can dry - otherwise your guard will soon be home to tons of nasty bacteria. Don't ever wear someone else's mouth guard or you're likely to pick up some sort of mouth infection. If you wouldn't think of making out with the person, you definitely shouldn't be using their mouth guard either.

So, the next time you're playing a sport where you might get smoked in the mouth or face - think about using a mouth guard. Cuz you never know who the psycho behind that dentist drill might be.

  • Stock mouth guard - These are the cheapest but they also provide the least amount of protection. They can't be adjusted to fit your mouth which also makes them the most uncomfortable guard to wear.
  • Mouth-formed mouth guard - These can be shaped around your teeth by using your fingers or by biting down on the guard. They provide better protection than a stock guard and are still pretty inexpensive ($5 - $10.)
  • Custom-made mouth guard - The best kind of guard is one custom-made by a dentist using a mold of your teeth. Because it's fitted to your teeth, it provides better protection and is the most comfortable.
Related Stories:
>
>

readers voted!

Comments

brunostar

brunostar wrote:

O_+O
commented: Wed Jul 03, 2013

brunostar

brunostar wrote:

o_o
commented: Fri Feb 15, 2013

;Sweerve

;Sweerve wrote:

That picture is kinda scary........
commented: Sat Nov 17, 2012

there are 10 more comments

Please login or register to add comments


like this article?
Sign up now to get more just like!

latest videos

F994808815859

Most Painful Way to Lose Teeth?

  • Getting whacked in the mouth with a hockey stick.
  • Getting smoked in the teeth with a baseball.
  • Landing mouth first on the sidewalk while skateboarding.
  • A nutbar dentist with a rusty pair of plyers.

related stories

Micro_braces_micro
Jazzlover321 asks: “I need braces but I’m scared because people say it’s painful. My friend Ava s...
Micro_wisdom teeth_micro
Ouch! Why are those four molars at the very back of your mouth hurting you? Well, those molars (a...
Micro_white_micro
short brunette asks: "I tried whitening toothpaste but they're still yellow and I don't smile muc...

Dear Dish-It in the forums

Jelly3
Jelly3 posted in Style:
I don't care much for either, but I chose Maybelline because of better quality. 
reply about 13 hours
GottaLoveDance
GottaLoveDance posted in Friends:
"sugarpetals" wrote: "-_-NowYouSeeMeD" wrote: I know a lot of u BELIBERS out there might not like this post..but..still...I'm gonna continue!!!!  JUSTIN BIBER is REALLY TALENTED....I KNOW...I DON'T DENIE THAT AT ALL...but personally as a person I HATE HIM!!  I mean he's horrible....he doesn't care about anyone's feelings he clearly proved that by breaking SELENA'S heart in to a thousand pieces & by almost being kicked out of a country!!!:c (not just any..USA).He also did many other kinds of things which are...heheheh....heheh....better off not mentioning!!!:D  I know I'll never be able to reach where he did at the age of 13 but if fame leads to this...then...I rather stay invisible!!!:3   I KNOW HATE IS A STRONG WORD BUT IT CAN'T BE HELPED WHEN IT COMES TO BIBER :'c CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME  GOOD REASONS FOR WHICH BIEBER SHOULDN'T BE HATED?!?!:( AT LEAST ...MAYBE THEN I WILL BE ABLE TO AGREE WITH MY FRIEND!!!!:c I really don't wanna change her love for Biber or anything....I just wanna see...even if for once....those things that she and all of u Justin Biber fans  see in him!!!:)   i am not a belieber but this is no way to talk about Justin. maybe he has his flaws but it is not for us to judge. u want reasons why people like him right then here are they: 1.he can sing 2.they like his music 3.he is cute if u hate him then its your problem.......u don't need to like him just don't hate him because he is human, would u like someone to hate you because of the way you live and choose to be? yes i agree he did allot of horrible things, but what right do you have to hate him? and as far as your friend is concerned....u shouldn't feel bad because she sees something you don't see in him and that has nothing to do with you. I agree with sugarpetals I'm sorry to say but she is right.
reply about 18 hours
BookwormKat
My 2 older brothers & I live with my Mom, Step-Dad, & "their kids". They get out of doing chores, coming home at curfew, and can all but do anything & get away with all of it!!!!!! :e My Mom doesn't like it much but won't do anything about it. HELP!!!!!!!  :bigfrown
reply about 23 hours
daredog
daredog posted in Family Issues:
Thanks for the support!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
reply 1 day
daredog
daredog posted in Family Issues:
Thanks! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D it's good to know you don't mind! I think I might have lost a friend though... I asked Peter444 and he said he doesn't support gays... I hope he knew what I meant..... :) anyway thanks for the support! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
reply 1 day

play online games

Candy-100

A great online version of the famous Candy Crush. This is the best game launched...

Big_icon_(7)

Have you ever fancied being a ranger like those fantasy characters you love so m...

Big_icon_(4)

You run across the city in a car chase with the police officers.

Big_icon_(6)

The evil master kidnapped all of your friends!

Ow_fright_ad_100x100

Explore the world or hang out with friends in your own condo. Get a unique look,...