Mariah Carey Biography
Birthdate: March 27, 1970
Birthplace: Long Island, New York.
Mariah Carey is one of the world's biggest divas and best singers. Kidzworld takes a closer look at the superstar's incredible career.
Mariah is the youngest child of Patricia Hickey, a former opera singer and vocal coach, and Alfred Carey, an aeronautical engineer. She began singing at the age of three, after she imitated her mother practicing an Italian Opera. Because of her work as a demo singer for local recording studios during High School, and missing a lot of classes, her classmates gave Mariah the nickname Mirage (Get it? Beause she was never really there.) After high school, Mariah moved to New York City. She worked part-time jobs and completed five hundred hours of beauty school before becoming a backup singer for Brenda K. Starr. Then, in 1988, Carey met Columbia Records executive Tommy Mottola at a party, where Starr gave him Carey's demo tape. Mottola played the tape and was impressed, so he tracked her down and signed her to a recording contract. Take a look at what she’s accomplished since then.
245 Since 1990.
- 57 Singles
- 12 Studio Albums
- 1 Live Album
- 4 Albums produced with others
- 2009 brings us Memories of an Imperfect Angel
- 2010 brings us Playlist: The Very Best of Mariah Carey
- 6 from 1993 to 2006
- 2009 Live At The Pearl
- 2010 Angels Advocate
- 1997 Began acting lessons
- 1998 Began auditioning
- 1999 The Bachelor
- 2001 Glitter
- 2002 WiseGirls
- 2002 to 2008 appearances
- 2008 Tennessee
- 2009 Precious
- Married to Tommy Mottola from 1993 to 1998
- Married Nick Cannon April 30, 2008
Did U Know?
- Mariah gives away a lot of her time and money to others.
- Mariah performed Hero at the Neighborhood Inaugural Ball after Barack Obama was sworn in as America’s first African-American president on January 20, 2009.
- Mariah performed the Jackson 5 hit I’ll Be There with Trey Lorenz at Michael’s memorial service.
- Mariah is the eighth woman to amass 40 Billboard Hot 100 singles.
- Mariah was named the Best-selling Female Pop Artist of the Millennium at the 2000 World Music Awards.
- Touch My Body became Mariah's 18th number one single, beating a record held by Elvis Presley, and is second only to The Beatles.
- Carey has won five Grammy Awards.
- Mariah was the only artist to have a number one hit in each year of the '90s.
- In 2003, she was presented with The Chopard Diamond Award for selling over 100 million albums worldwide.
- With We Belong Together and Shake it Off, Mariah became the first female solo artist to hold the top two spots of the Billboard Hot 100 at the same time.
- Mariah is said to have a five octave vocal range, and the ability to sing in the whistle register (highest register of the human voice).
"Forget the image, forget the ensemble, forget the rumors, forget the short skirts, the big hair, whatever! I owe this to the fans and I will never forget you."
- Anton Yelchin Biography
- Ellen Page Biography
- Soulja Boy Biography
- More Biographies of Your Fave Celebs!