Quiz The Coach: Hiding Your Scars
I had to have surgery on both of my legs so it left scar marks. The scars are from the back of my knee down. I hate to wear anything that shows the back of my leg. The worst thing is I will start 6th Grade soon and I have to wear shorts in gym class so I’m really worried that kids might make fun of me. I was going to wait and see if the kids make fun of me, and if they do, I’ll just tell my parents. Also for some reason I always get SO emotional about it!!!
Scar marks are noticeable and I understand your fear that the other kids will tease you about them. Luckily there are a few steps that you can take to feel better about the situation.
- Communication with your parents and teachers is key. Even though this is embarrassing for you, if your parents and teachers understand what you are feeling they are going to try and help you. Just be honest, and don’t worry about being emotional about it because it is very natural for many people in the same situation as you to be emotional.
- You can try to hide your scars with various athletic wear. There are a lot of different types of jogging pants, longer shorts, track pants and spandex yoga pants that can all be quite stylish. The problem is that this might single you out if everyone else is wearing shorts.
- I recommend talking to your close friends about your problem. If you get the support of a close friend, it is likely that they may choose to help other kids be sensitive to the problem. Or it is possible that they will join you to wear the long athletic pants.
- It’s important that your gym teacher lets the whole class know that long athletic pants are acceptable. On the first day of gym class, there is always an orientation of what is the appropriate gym strip. Make sure that you bring the style of pants that you would like to wear your teacher shows everyone what is acceptable.
- You can CHOOSE to wear the shorts. The more experience you have showing your scars, the more it won’t be such a big deal to other people. If you can get over the fear and bad emotions, you will be freer to experience life. You will be able to wear a bathing suit and go swimming with other kids, and go to the beach and have fun. But the more you hide your scars; it will be tough to do these things.
It’s perfectly natural to be insecure about having these scars. It takes time to get over the problems that will come. teasing is the biggest problem in schools everywhere and sometimes there is no way to make the teasing stop. Communication is the key. Make sure you let your friends, family and teachers know what is happening. They will help you. Always stay positive. If you are being teased, always stay positive and never tease back, because that is what bullies want. The best thing to do is to be really nice to your classmates, do nice things for them, and stay close to your friends and keep your distance from the bullies.