Indian Gymnastics :: Mallakhamb
There is a new video circulating the Internet called Indian Pole Gymnastics, and it is so amazing that Kidzworld has decided to investigate this strange foreign sport. The video is AMAZING and it’s really cool to see something different… it’s called Mallakhamb!
King of the Ring
The people of India have practiced Mallakhamb for hundreds of years. It was first introduced as an exercise for wrestlers. They would attack the pole like it was their opponent. The pole allowed them to practice holds and awkward body poses that could be used in the wrestling ring once perfected on the pole.
Top Notch Tumblers
Mallakhamb has evolved into an art of gymnastics and acrobatics. For the last 25 years, India has tournaments that let athletes compete on a National level. They have become so good that the news is spreading about this crazy sport. Check out this video on youtube that everyone is raving about…
How To Do It!
Here are some quick facts about how the sport of Mallakhamb is performed:
- The Mallakhamb is the pole
- Oil is put on the Mallakhamb to avoid friction and rug burns
- There are 5 categories of skills that the performer is judged
- Mounting - the performer must run and jump on the Mallakhamb
- Acrobatics - flips, twists and turns are performed with speed and smooth agility
- Balances - there are a variety of poses that the performer must hold
- Catches - the performer takes flight in the air and catches the pole again
- Dismounts - finally the performer stands on top of the pole and jumps off
Mallakhamb is still a strange and mysterious sport to most of the World. If you have any knowledge of this sport, it would make a great class presentation. Maybe one day Mallakhamb will be practiced in other countries. It could even become an Olympic Sport one day.