Dear Dish-It: Am I Getting My Period?
What signs tell you that your period is coming?
double d 2112
Your First Period
Dear double d 2112,
There are lots of different “signs” or symptoms that give you a hint that you’re about to get your period. Not everyone has all of these symptoms – some girls don’t even experience any of them. Everybody and every body is different…however, some of the more common period “signs” include:
- Age: A very common age to start your period is between 8 and 13. That’s when most girls hit puberty.
- Growth (height)/breast development: During puberty, the hormones in your body stimulate new physical development. You’ll likely grow taller and start developing breasts at this time. About 2 or 2.5 years after your breasts start to develop, you will likely get your period.
- Hair growth: You may notice new hair growing under your arms and in other places on your body where there wasn’t any hair before. This also has to do with puberty and growing up, and could be a sign that your period is coming soon.
- Discharge: About 6 months or so before you get your first period, you may notice more discharge than usual. This is totally normal and common, and there’s no need to worry about it, unless it smells strongly or causes you to itch.
- Stronger emotions: Some girls find they feel extra sad or easily annoyed right before their period. You may even get more angry than normal or cry more easily. Some girls crave certain types of food leading up to their period. These symptoms are all caused by changes in your body’s hormones.
- Bloating: Some girls feel bloated or puffy because of water retention, or have sore, swollen breasts or more headaches than normal.
- Acne: Your skin may flare up right before your period, also due to hormones.
What signs do you think double d 2112 should look for? Have your say by leaving a comment below this story!
More Great Advice About Your Period
- All About Your Period
- Swimming With Your Period
- I Haven’t Had My Period
- When Will I Get My Period?
- How Do I Know If I’m Getting My Period?
- Your First Period