How to Make Your Own Skirt
If you’ve always wanted to make your own clothes, now is the perfect time to start! Don’t be intimidated if you’ve never learned how to sew. This first DIY project is the perfect way to start if you’re a beginner to sewing and also an easy and fun afternoon project for those of you who already know how to sew. All you need is thread, thin elastic to make the waistband, a pillowcase and any extra embellishment or ribbon you want to add to customize your skirt. It’s best if you have access to a sewing machine but you can easily hand-stitch it as well, it just might take a bit longer. The best thing about using a pillowcase is that the skirt is practically almost done - you just have to put on the finishing touches! You can get all of these supplies from a sewing or craft store but first ask your mom/aunt/grandma, she just might have most of the stuff in the house! Let’s get started!
What You’ll Need
- Sewing scissors - make sure they are sharp enough to cut through fabric easily.
- Pillowcase - use an old pillowcase, a vintage one you’ve found in a thrift store or a brand new pillowcase - all that matters is that you like the color or pattern.
- Fabric chalk - you’ll need this to mark on the skirt where you’d like to cut the hem.
- Elastic - for making the waistband. Pick a thin elastic.
- Sewing machine OR needle and thread - sewing the waistband is easiest using a sewing machine but old-fashioned needle and thread will do in a pinch - it’ll just take longer!
- Extra embellishments - add your own unique touch with any felt flowers, ribbons, lace or anything else you fancy!
How to Make Your Own Pillowcase Skirt
- 1. Find a pillowcase with a color or pattern you like that you can wear as a skirt. Hold it up to your body to see how long you’d like it. Make sure you allow an extra 1 inch on the waistband to fold over later to make room for the elastic waistband.
- 2. Using your fabric chalk, mark on the skirt what length you would like. Lay the skirt flat and cut off any excess from the closed end of the pillowcase.
- 3. Fold over the raw edge of the pillowcase that you just cut to make the elastic waistband. Fold it over ¼ inch first and then ¾ inch. Make sure you leave a 1 inch opening for the elastic to go through.
- 4. Stitch it closed once the elastic is all the way around the waistband. And voila - you’re all done!
- 5. Add any embellishments to the skirt either using a needle and thread or a hot glue gun.
Keep checking back to see more of our DIY fashion projects!
- Spring Into Action with Crafty Projects!
- How to Make Your Own Accessories
- Make Your Own Beaded Bobby Pins
- Geek Chic Style