Brendan Meyer Q&A
Teen actor Brendan Meyer has been a hit on TV in Canada, and now Disney XD is bringing his show Mr.Young to a brand new audience in the U.S.! Brendan plays Adam Young, a kid so brilliant that he zooms ahead of his classmates, only to return as a teacher! Find out more in his Kidzworld Q&A.
Brendan plays Adam Young, a kid whose off-the-charts I.Q. allows him to teach kids his own age!
"I am essentially a kid doing an adult job as well," says Brendan
Brendan is excited to on Disney, "I have been a huge fan my whole life!"
KW: How old are you, and where are you from?
- Brendan: On October 2nd I will be 17 years old. I was born in Ontario, but I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
KW: When did you first know you wanted to be a performer?
- Brendan: I can't remember the exact moment but my entire life I've been interested in telling stories. Enjoying theatre and movies has always been a big part of my life. I don't remember a time when I wasn't acting out a play or a movie for my family.
KW: How did you get the part in Mr.Young?
- Brendan: I was committed to another network when kids started auditioning for Mr.Young. Once they had narrowed down the field to the final three, I became available and the casting director called the producers and they brought me in to the screen test. It all happened very quickly.
KW: Your show, Mr. Young, which has been a hit in Canada, is about to premiere on Disney XD, are you excited?
- Brendan: I am beyond excited about getting on Disney XD firstly because it will be so great to be on a show in the US and secondly because I have been a HUGE Disney fan my entire life. I grew up watching great animated classics like Pocahontas and Lion King and then graduated to sitcoms such as [kwlink 24280]The Suite Life of Zack and Cody[/kwlink] and That's So Raven.
KW: What is your character, Adam Young, like? Do you feel similar to him at all?
- Brendan: Adam is very, very smart and has a lot of confidence. He's not exactly hip to what's cool because he hasn't been around kids very much but he's a really nice guy and tries his best to be a good friend and teacher. I hope that I have Adam's confidence and I relate to his experience because I am an actor on a TV Show so I am essentially a kid doing an adult job as well.
KW: What are some of your hobbies?
- Brendan: I enjoy watching movies and reading plays and attending theatre. Outside of the acting world, I like to play tennis with my brother, run, and watch sports like golf, tennis, and hockey.
KW: Who would you like to work with in the future?
- Brendan: I have a few. Some of my dream actors are Leonardo DiCaprio, George Clooney, Brian Cranston and Phillip Seymour Hoffman. My dream directors would be Christopher Nolan, Martin Scorsese, Steven Spielberg and Woody Allen.
KW: What was the most fun thing that has ever happened on set?
- Brendan: One night, during one of our first live tapings, the cast of The Suite Life on Deck came by to watch. It was a huge thrill to meet Dylan, Cole, Debby and Matt because I watched their show when I was younger.
KW: You work in theatre and in film, how are they different?
- Brendan: Theatre is really fun because you get a longer rehearsal process and a live audience. But I also enjoy the fast pace of TV and the ability to do something over and over again and change and finesse certain things. The best example I have ever heard is from Frank Langella. He said that acting for film means that all your emotions and motivations need to be understood by the person you're acting with and the camera will pick it up from there and take the message to your audience. In theatre, you have to communicate your emotions and motivations to the people in the back row.
KW: Are you working on any projects coming up?
- Brendan: I am in the two part season premiere of The Haunting Hour with Joel Courtney of Super 8 but other than that I am really busy filming Season 2 of Mr. Young.
Food: Caesar Salad
Movie: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Book: 1984 & To Kill a Mockingbird
Check out this Mr. Young preview:
Have Your Say
Will you be watching Mr. Young? Let us know in the comments section below!