Robbie Kay Q&A
British teen actor Robbie Kay plays the youngest member of Blackbeard’s crew in the new Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, starring Johnny Depp and Penelope Cruz and hitting stores on DVD and Blu Ray later this month. We caught up with Robbie to find out what it’s like being the cabin boy on a pirate ship. Find out more in his Kidzworld Q&A!
Robbie first started acting when he was just 9 years old.
Robbie looks up to Stranger Tides co-star Johnny Depp
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides hits stores on DVD and Blu Ray October 18th!
KW: How old are you and where are you from?
- Robbie: I’m 16 and I’m from England originally, but I’m currently living in Houston, Texas.
KW: How did you first become interested in acting?
- Robbie: I kind of stumbled into it really. The first film I ever did there was a casting call on the billboard at my school and I figured I might as well do it because a lot of my friends were doing it, and I thought it might be quite a lot of fun. So I went to audition and did what they asked me to do, and a few weeks later they came back with a part and I spent a few days on a film set and loved every minute of it. Before that I had only done school plays, I was just nine then.
KW: How did you get the part in Pirates of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides?
- Robbie: My agent set me up with audition and a few days later they asked me to come back and play around with a few lines, and I did what they asked, and then they came back and said I’d got the part, I was absolutely ecstatic.
KW: What is your character like in Stranger Tides? Do you feel similar to him at all?
- Robbie: Well he’s a pirate, he’s quite different from me! The cabin boy is the youngest pirate on Blackbeard’s Ship, so he scrubs the decks and does everything that no else wants to do, and as the youngest person probably gets pushed around by everyone, but he’s still a pirate.
KW: What did you like most about the story?
- Robbie: There are a lot of great moments in the film, and there were a lot of brilliant moments on set, but my favorite scene is the mermaid attack.That whole sequence in White Cap Bay I think is just really well put together and I love that whole concept of their being mermaids attacking a ship.
KW: Stranger Tides has some amazing costumes, with Halloween around the corner did you get to keep yours?
- Robbie: There are a lot of great costumes and makeup, great hair in the movie, everyone is wearing something different. If I was allowed to I would definitely take a costume!
KW: You were nominated for a Young Artist Award for your part in Fugitive Pieces, what was that like?
- Robbie: It was a great honor for me to be nominated for an award, it was the first time I was nominated for an award, although I wasn’t able to attend because of school, I was in England at the time.
KW: Which actors do you look up to?
- Robbie: My favorite actor of all time is Leonardo DiCaprio, I really look up to him in everything he does, and look up to him, my favorite movie is Inception.
KW: Who would you ideally like to work with in the future?
- Robbie:There are so many great actors I’d love to work with, Johnny Depp was one of them, and people like Geoffrey Rush. Working with someone like Leonardo Di Caprio would be incredible for me.
KW: You starred alongside Daniel Radcliffe in BBC TV movie called My Boy Jack, what is it about?
- Robbie: It was kind of like a documentary-drama set in the first world war about Rudyard Kipling and his son in the war, and his story about getting into army and fighting on the frontlines.
- Book: It would have to be To Kill A Mockingbird, it’s a book I studied last year in school and I think it has a great storyline.
- Movie: Inception! Definitely!
- Band: I listen to a lot of different types of music. Like drum and bass and dubstep.
- School Subject: Probably Math or Physics
Check out the trailer for Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides below:
Have Your Say!
Did you like Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides? Let us know in the comments below!