Kidzworld Kitchen: Sleepover Fun
Everyone knows the very best thing about the weekends is having sleepovers with your friends! So why not make the next overnighter extra cool with a tasty treat made especially by you? Or, better yet, have a blast in the kitchen tackling the recipe as a team!
You’ll love these delish snacks that’ll be perfect for your next movie-fest pizza party or upcoming campout.
Crescent Roll Pizza
- 1 (8 oz) package refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1(156ml) can of tomato paste
- ½ can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp of basil (dried or chopped fresh...but fresh is always best!)
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Dash of pepper (optional)
- An assortment of your favourite pizza toppings
Some good topping ideas would be ham, pepperoni, salami, thinly sliced mushrooms, pineapple, sliced olives, spinach, green peppers or more fresh basil. (Hint! If you’re hosting the party make sure there are topping choices for your guests with special diets)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C)
- In a medium sized bowl mix together tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, basil and pepper, set bowl aside
- Carefully unroll your crescent rolls onto a greased cookie sheet (Hint! Make smaller personal pizzas by cutting the dough into smaller squares)
- With clean fingers lightly press the lines of the crescents together until you can’t see them anymore and push the dough out to the edges of the pan
- Adding a spoonful at a time, spread your tomato mixture over your pizza crust (Hint! Leave the edge sauce-free so you have a place to grab your slice)
- Sprinkle half your grated mozzarella cheese over the tomato sauce
- Now it’s time to get creative and add all your favourite toppings
- Add the remaining cheese and pop that pie in the oven!
- Bake for 11 to 14 minutes, until crust is browned. Let the pizza cool for 5-10 minutes before cutting with a rolling pizza cutter.
Stick Em Up Smores
- 1 16oz bag of large marshmallows
- 1 16oz bag of chocolate chips or chocolate melting wafers (Hint! Dark chocolate is a little bitter and less sweet. Milk chocolate is smooth and sweet. If you can, get a taste of both to decide which you like better)
- 1 box crushed graham cracker crumbs
- Lollipop sticks or Popsicle sticks
Special Equipment: Double boiler (Wha?! A double boiler is a two piece pot – the pot on the bottom is filled with boiling water and the second pot fits inside so the bottom is being warmed by the heat of the water. This is a technique for gentle melting)
- Insert a lollipop stick into the center of each large marshmallow, about ¾ of the way in.
- Pour the graham crumbs into a large shallow bowl and set aside
- Fill the bottom part of the double boiler with water and bring to boil over medium heat
- Place the chocolate in the top part of the double boiler and place over hot water
- Stir the chocolate with a stick or fork until it is smooth and has no lumps
- Dip your marshmallow sticks into the melted chocolate and roll around until it is mostly covered. Roll chocolate marshmallow in the graham crumbs
- Stand up on a piece of wax paper to dry and put in the fridge for 1 hour
Remember, be creative, have fun and above all, safety first! Always talk to the adult in charge before you get your chef on! Happy cooking!
Recipes courtesy of Love Sugar Cakes.
Have Your Say
Do you have any favorite sleepover snacks? Leave a comment and let us know!