-
x

Meet New Friends!

Recommended friends are based on your interests. Make sure they are up to date.

Friends ff8c072dd79a91c1300f032d674241a8d64367100ffb1f25fa3f9bec4a05319f
Kidzworld Logo

Armed Forces Day

May 12, 2016

Armed Forces Day is celebrated in countries around the world in honor of each nations' military forces and their contribution to society. This year the United States Armed Forces Day falls on May 21st. Find out more about Armed Forces Day!

Armed Forces Day celebrates the Army, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard in times of war and peaceArmed Forces Day celebrates the Army, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard in times of war and peace

When, What, Where?

Armed Forces Day in the U.S. usually falls on the third Saturday of May, but in other countries they sometimes use different name and a different date for celebrating their military troops, for example in the United Kingdom and Canada it takes place in late June. Armed Forces Day celebrates the contributions of the Army, the Navy, the Air Force and the Coast Guard during war and peace.

Armed Forces Day is celebrated in countries around the world at different times in the yearArmed Forces Day is celebrated in countries around the world at different times in the year

How it Started

In August 1949 Louis Johnson, the United States Secretary of Defense, decided that instead of celebrating the navy, the army and the airforce on separate days it would be better for everyone to feel included in the same celebration. Originally the day was also to help the public understand what the daily life of a military officer looked like and a way to show case new technology, and offer open houses, parades and festivals. The first official Armed Forces Day took place in 1950. By 1962 it was declared an official holiday by President John F. Kennedy.

Often on Armed Forces Day their are parades, educational activities and even air shows!Often on Armed Forces Day their are parades, educational activities and even air shows!

How Do You Celebrate?

In many cities and towns the military forces will hold “support the troops” motorcycle rides, local parades, military displays (like air shows) for the public and educational activities for kids. Often there will be patriotic or military themed music playing, like “Taps”, the bugle call played at flag ceremonies and memorials.

Have Your Say

How will you be celebrating Armed Forces Day? Let us know in the comments section below!

 

129 Comments

Related Stories

Micro soup kitchen micro
Volunteering can be a great way to learn about the world, meet new people and help make a differe...
Micro j.r. martinez micro
Actor, motivational speaker, veteran U.S. soldier and now winner of the latest Dancing with the S...
Micro army micro
Afraid asks: "I think I might want to join the military. I have also been thinking about being a ...
Micro memorial day micro
Memorial Day isn't just a day off school. It's a day to remember all those people who died in war...
Poll

How Many Stars Are on the American Flag?

  • 13.
  • 25.
  • 30.
  • 50.

General In The Forums

jordand08
jordand08 posted in Say Anything:
Please stay on topic, if you have any more concerns you can comment either myself or kirsten. 
reply about 2 hours
jordand08
jordand08 posted in Say Anything:
"AlphaT" wrote: "jordand08" wrote: "AlphaT" wrote:Oh wow, a genuine trigger warning. Did the memes teach you nothing? First off, an actual warning. Take no action based on what you've read here without first consulting a mental health professional. Now, I have a lot of experience in mental illness. I have ADHD(Pre-DSMV), an anxiety disorder, and I've tested significant for bipolar (Pre-DSMV). My best advise is to find a therapist that you personally connect with. It's not about being comfortable, because a good therapist will challenge your thoughts, but you need to be able to accept those challenges. And to do that, you'll need a therapist that you mesh with. Aside from that, good medication can go a long way to helping you live with your mental issues. However, this isn't true for everyone, and it should be handled by a medical professional.  I'm sorry I found your comment rude. This post is not just about mental illnesses, and mental health is a universal thing that requires you to take care of yourself because you can't always see professionals because their isn't always easy access to them. Which is all clearly stated in the post. If you say something again on this post that's rude it will be reported I'm not sure what you mean by "rude". I mean, you found what I said to be rude, but you gave no reason why. If I don't know how to accommodate for your standards of rudeness, I feel like I'm doomed to repeat my trespass.  So, how exactly was I being rude? Your very first sentence. Yes its suppose  to be saracastic, but not everything has to be answered with as a joke, because some people take offense to it.
reply about 2 hours
AlphaT
AlphaT posted in Say Anything:
"jordand08" wrote:"AlphaT" wrote:Oh wow, a genuine trigger warning. Did the memes teach you nothing? First off, an actual warning. Take no action based on what you've read here without first consulting a mental health professional. Now, I have a lot of experience in mental illness. I have ADHD(Pre-DSMV), an anxiety disorder, and I've tested significant for bipolar (Pre-DSMV). My best advise is to find a therapist that you personally connect with. It's not about being comfortable, because a good therapist will challenge your thoughts, but you need to be able to accept those challenges. And to do that, you'll need a therapist that you mesh with. Aside from that, good medication can go a long way to helping you live with your mental issues. However, this isn't true for everyone, and it should be handled by a medical professional.  I'm sorry I found your comment rude. This post is not just about mental illnesses, and mental health is a universal thing that requires you to take care of yourself because you can't always see professionals because their isn't always easy access to them. Which is all clearly stated in the post. If you say something again on this post that's rude it will be reported I'm not sure what you mean by "rude". I mean, you found what I said to be rude, but you gave no reason why. If I don't know how to accommodate for your standards of rudeness, I feel like I'm doomed to repeat my trespass.  So, how exactly was I being rude? 
reply about 2 hours
Kirsteeeeen
thanks for posting this Kristen. I think that it is a tough subject to talk about with other people and honestly I think it's good to talk about it in a moderate amount. Now that more pepole are being diagnosed with learning differences or some sort of other mental health disorder, I think that talking about it and informing people will only make it easier for people to feel less awkward or the odd man out. That's how I found about that I am not the only person in the room who has ADD. I'm more willing to come out and talk to people and discribe what I have to go through on a daily basis to raise awareness. School will always be hard for me so I look at my strengths to help push me forward in life.  Thank you for sharing! First of all I'd like to say I admire your bravery and I hope that things continue to improve. :) I agree, talking about it in a moderate amount is useful, as is reminding ourselves that mental health starts anybody, and that coping strategies and learning to love yourself are important no matter what, inside AND outside of a situation that would require therapy. It's also definitely helpful to know you're not the only one. And that there are so many successful people who have battled the same battles and still came out on top. Again, thank you. :)
reply about 3 hours
jordand08
jordand08 posted in Say Anything:
Oh wow, a genuine trigger warning. Did the memes teach you nothing?  First off, an actual warning. Take no action based on what you've read here without first consulting a mental health professional.  Now, I have a lot of experience in mental illness. I have ADHD(Pre-DSMV), an anxiety disorder, and I've tested significant for bipolar (Pre-DSMV).  My best advise is to find a therapist that you personally connect with. It's not about being comfortable, because a good therapist will challenge your thoughts, but you need to be able to accept those challenges. And to do that, you'll need a therapist that you mesh with.  Aside from that, good medication can go a long way to helping you live with your mental issues. However, this isn't true for everyone, and it should be handled by a medical professional.  I'm sorry I found your comment rude. This post is not just about mental illnesses, and mental health is a universal thing that requires you to take care of yourself because you can't always see professionals because their isn't always easy access to them. Which is all clearly stated in the post. If you say something again on this post that's rude it will be reported
reply about 3 hours