Lee Kiefer Bio
Name: Lee Kiefer
Birthplace: Cleveland, Ohio
Residence: Lexington, Ky.
School: Paul Laurence Dunbar High School
Club: Bluegrass Fencer's Club
Coach: Amgad Khazbak
US Ranking: #1
World Ranking: #7
Lee is an American star female fencer and she's headed to the 2012 Olympics in London. So what chance does she have to get the Gold Medal for the USA since the sport is primarily dominated by the Europeans? Actually, pretty good! She has been turning everyone's head and some say she is the best fencer they have ever seen. Let's find out how she became such a ferocious fencer!
Courtesy of ESPN
It all began in the dining room of the Kiefer home in Lexington. Lee fenced with her brother Axel and her sister Alex under the supervision of their father Steve, who was a champion fencer from Duke University. Lee hated fencing when she started at 5 years old because she couldn't carry the heavy fencing equipment. But she loves it now as the sport shows off her amazing grace and talent.
From Fencer to Famous
Courtesy of azeoter.com
Lee has gone from being the youngest member of the 2009 Seniot World Team at just 15-years- old, to winning bronze at the Senior World Championships in October. The win made Lee the only athlete in the world to earn individial podium finishes at the Senior, Junior and Cadet World Championships in 2011 year after she won Silver medals at both the Junior and Cadet Worlds in April.
- Senior World Championship Teams: 2011 (Bronze, 2010, 2009)
- Pan American Games Teams: 2011 (Gold - Individual and Team)
- Pan American Championship Teams: 2011 (Gold - Individual and Team), 2010 (Gold - Individual and Team)
- Junior World Championship Teams: 2012, 2011 (Silver - Individual and Team), 2010 (Fifth), 2009 (Gold - Team)
- Cadet World Championship Teams: 2011 (Silver), 2010 (Gold), 2009 (Silver), 2008 (Bronze)
Courtesy of modernfencing.tumblr.com
Have Your Say
So Lee is off to compete at the 2012 Olympics and she is definitely a favorite to win a medal. Can she win the Gold? What do you think? Let us know in the comments below.