Asher Monroe Q&A
With over a million views of his official video for "Hello Baby," 23-year-old Asher Monroe has become a YouTube sensation. This singer/songwriter has taken the social media world by storm and now he's released a new lyric video called "Here With You." Check out Kidzworld's Q&A with Asher Monroe!
KW: When did you first realize that singing was your passion?
- Asher: I first realized that singing could potentially be a real career with my first lucky break at the age of 7. I scored the role of chip in the first national Broadway tour of Disney's 'Beauty and the Beast'. I was SO excited ! From that point on, I never stopped singing!
KW: Was “Hello, Baby” your first song?
- Asher: No, the first song that I wrote was actually a ballad called 'I Can Only Imagine'. I haven't released it yet. 'Hello Baby' was a fun, catchy uptempo that came about very organically.
KW: What inspired you to write “Hello, Baby”?
- Asher: It came to me one day in the studio after working on a few different tracks. I was working with some young up-and-coming producers and they gave me a simple beat. I changed a lot of production elements but made sure to keep it simple and catchy. It was a fun process.
KW: Do you have an album in the works?
- Asher: Yes. I'm currently writing and placing the songs I want to make this first album. I have over 20 songs that I'm narrowing down to make the album.
KW: What other musicians inspire you?
- Asher: MJ, Elvis, Stevie Wonder, Elton John, Outkast.
KW: What’s your favorite thing about being a musician?
- Asher: Making music every day. I don't see it as a tiring job... I love it as my passion. It's invigorating to see a song grow from a small idea to a fully fleshed out sonic story. Beyond the creative process, I love the opportunities I get to connect with fans from all across the globe. I couldn't do any of it without them.
KW: If you weren’t singing, what other career would you pursue?
- Asher: I went to college for money marketing, initially entertaining a career in business. Throughout the years, I've also had the privilege of acting in many different TV shows and movies. Music is at the center of all I do.
KW: Do you play any instruments?
- Asher: I can play guitar, piano, and recently I've started playing drums.
KW: Do you have any tours coming up?
- Asher: I'm planning one right now. No details just yet...
Now for some silly questions…
KW: Did you have any weird part-time jobs during or after high school?
- Asher: Ha! I sold knives for a company called Cutco. That was fun. When I was really young, I would mow lawns in the summer to make some extra cash. I guess I had a thing for blades?
KW: If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
- Asher: Hmmm... either a secret button to make all my songs go straight to #1, or flying. I imagine they're similar feelings.
KW: What was your favorite toy as a kid?
- Asher: GI Joe!
KW: What song is playing on your iPod right now?
- Asher: The semi-lame (but honest) answer is it's probably one of my songs. I listen to them a lot to write down notes, lyric ideas, production ideas, what needs work, etc... but, you might catch me jamming to the classics in the car sometimes!
KW: Who’s your celebrity crush?
- Asher: Marilyn Monroe. I wish she was still around to show us all how it's done.
KW: I’m sure your female fans would like to know, what do you look for in a girl?
- Asher: Confidence, fun personality, caring, and of course she has to be truly beautiful... which really means genuine.
KW: What’s your most embarrassing moment or habit?
- Asher: In a lot of my videos, I lick my lips. I have no idea why. Ha!
KW: Where would you love to travel?
- Asher: I LOVE to travel. Egypt, Hong Kong, Space?
Asher Monroe Favorites
Favorite Movie: Dumb and Dumber (classic comedy to keep it light hearted)
TV Show: Saturday Night Live
Book: "Lord of the Flies"
Junkfood: Sour candy, more sour candy
Have Your Say
Are you a fan of Asher? Let us know!