How to Make Your Own Chalkboard
Ever need to write a quick note and can’t find a pen? Have you ever wanted to label something, like a box of art supplies, in a unique, fun way? Have you ever wanted to draw all over the walls without getting in trouble? Chalkboards aren’t just useful in the classroom, you can use a chalkboard all sorts of places.
Make Your Own Chalkboard Courtesy of ehow.com
Use Your Chalk Paint to Decorate or Label Jars Courtesy of makeyourownzone.com
Write A Note on Your Chalkboard! Courtesy of ehow.com
There is black chalkboard paint that you can find at most craft stores and use on walls and jars and boxes and even just boards. This stuff is really great for large surfaces, like a living room wall. But you can also make your own chalkboard paint and when you make your own you can make it your own color!
- 1/2 cup acrylic paint, color of your choice
- 1 tablespoon unsanded grout (you can find this at hardware or home improvement stores)
- mixing bowl (not to be reused for food)
- spoon or paint stirrer
- paint brush
- an object you plan to paint on
- Pour the ½ cup acrylic paint and 1 tablespoon unsanded grout into the mixing bowl. The unsanded grout is a fine powder and can be dangerous if inhaled. Make sure to work outside or in an airy indoor space.
- Stir the grout and paint until it has a smooth consistency. The paint will begin to harden once it is mixed, so work with a quick pace and only mix as much as you think you’ll need. This paint will not store.
- Paint the surface of the object you want to make into a chalkboard. This can be anything from wood to plaster to glass.
- Let the chalk paint fully dry. Give it a couple hours.
- With paint now dry, slate the surface of your chalkboard. To do this carefully rub chalk across the surface and then lightly rub it off.
- Use your chalkboard and chalk to write messages, labels things or draw fun pictures!
There are lots of places where a chalkboard can be handy. Desks and kitchens are good places to make notes to yourself or family. Another good spot is flower pots that need to be labeled with the herb of flower that is in them. You can always frame a chalkboard and put it up in your locker at school. There are lots of possibilities!
Have Your Say
Can you imagine a great spot for a chalkboard? Share your imaginings in the comments section below.