DIY Laptop Sleeve
With school right around the corner your laptop may be seeing lots of travel time and even though it loves to see the world, it also needs to be protected from the bumps and bruises along the way. A laptop sleeve is the best way to prevent any terrible accidents from damaging your computer, and now you can make one yourself!
This laptop sleeve project involves grommets, small metal rings that are used to bind two pieces of fabric. To install the grommets in your laptop sleeve you will need to find a grommet kit ,which can be found at most craft and hardware stores. The website creativedish.com has a great YouTube video on how to use grommets, which you can watch here. Because they can be a little tricky sometimes it might be a good idea to get some adult assistance with this part of the project.
- Wool felt (3mm)
- 1/4″ Grommet Kit (this project will use 6 grommets)
- Ruler or measuring Tape
- Straight Pins
- Fabric Marker or chalk
- Measure the felt so that there is ¾ inch of felt on either side of your computer. The felt should fold over the laptop like an envelope.
- Cut the felt using your scissors. With this thick felt the sharper the scissors, the better.
- Fold the felt in half and pin it together to keep it from unfolding.
- Measure the spacing of the grommets so that there are 3 on either of the short sides of your rectangle. A good rule is to start at the top and bottom placing the grommet ½” from the side and ½” from the top or bottom. Mark these locations with your pen.
- Measure the middle grommet by finding the location between the top and bottom grommets 1/2” inch from the side. Mark the middle grommet.
- Using your grommet kit hole puncher, hammer a hole in the wool felt where each grommet will be.
- Take the backing piece of your grommet kit, place the grommet (the metal ring with a part that sticks out) in the backing piece and line it up with the hole you just punched.
- With the backing piece, the grommet and the wool felt all stacked up, now line the washer over the hole in the fabric.
- Take your grommet kit puncher and place it through the washer, wool felt and grommet and hammer it down.
- Repeat steps 6-9 for each grommet.
- Add any personal touches to your Laptop Sleeve to embellish it: Patches, flowers, thread string through the grommet holes, whatever you like. Now you and your computer can hit the town!
Have Your Say
What would you do if your computer got damaged? Has it happened to you? Tell us about it in the comment’s section below.