Kidzworld Kitchen: Fall Food
If there is one positive thing about the summer coming to an end it is that the beautiful season of fall is beginning.
Fall means cozy sweaters, Thanksgiving, football, falling leaves and hearty, delicious fruits and vegetables! Squashes, apples, carrots, beets, artichokes, cranberries and much more are at their peak right now so take advantage by trying these recipe ideas. A healthy soup is a great lunch or dinner that will warm you up and get you your daily veggies servings. And what better way to enjoy the crisp weather than sipping on a hot cup of apple cider with a warm pumpkin cookie on the side!
Hot Apple Cider
- 8 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 8 whole cloves
- 1 whole orange
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- In a large deep saucepan add the juice, sugar and spices
- Mix thoroughly and bring to a simmer over medium heat
- Take the whole orange, and spike the whole cloves into the rind and add it to the simmering mixture (Hint! This will add a nice orange-clove flavor and make it easy to remove before drinking)
- Simmer for 10 minutes after adding the orange and remove from heat
- Pour into mugs and enjoy!
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (Hint! Canned pumpkin puree or pumpkin pie filling works great)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 F/175 C)
- Cream together butter, white sugar and brown sugar until fluffy
- Beat in egg, vanilla and pumpkin
- In a separate bowl, mix together the oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, raisins and flour
- Adding a cup at a time incorporate the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture.
- Drop about heaping teaspoons of cookie batter onto greased cookie sheets
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until slightly browned around edges.
- Remove from oven and place on a cooling racks
Roasted Fall Vegetable Soup
- 1 peeled garlic
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (cubed with skin on)
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 3 turnips (cubed)
- 1 acorn squash (cubed)
- 3 carrots chopped in roughly 1-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 3-4 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ cup cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Sour cream (optional for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400 F/225 C
- Thoroughly wash and chop all the vegetables
- In a large bowl toss the vegetables with the olive oil and spread them out in a single layer on a pan
- Sprinkle veggies with salt and pepper
- Roast for approximately 1 hour, tossing every 15 minutes, until they are browned and tender.
- Remove vegetables from the pan and set aside to cool
- When vegetables are cooled spoon them into a blender and add the stock, lemon juice and optional cream until smooth
- Pour the blended soup into a large saucepan and cook on medium heat until hot. Add salt and pepper (if needed)
- Serve immediately with crusty bread and a dollop of sour cream
Remember, be creative, have fun and above all, safety first! Always talk to the adult in charge before you get your chef on! Enjoy this beautiful season!
Recipes courtesy of Love Sugar Cakes. Follow us on Twitter and let us know what recipes you want to see.
Have Your Say
What is your fave fall recipe? Let us know!