Kidzworld Kitchen: Rainy Days of Spring
Summer is definitely on its way and it’s bringing all the things we love: school-free days, sunshine, barbecues and lounging by the pool. But before summer can arrive in all its glory, most of us are facing a few weeks of rainy spring weather. Sure it’s great for the plants and flowers, but not so good for our motivation to get out of the house and get things done.
Feels like rainy days are meant for serious bonding sessions with the couch, a good book and your comfiest sweat pants. What would make these stay-in days go from fantastic to absolute perfection is some good old fashioned comfort food! The type of delicious, familiar food that warms you up and make you say mmmmm out loud.
Baked Macaroni & Cheese
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 pinch paprika
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cook macaroni according to the package directions. Drain.
- In a saucepan, melt butter or margarine over medium heat. Stir in enough flour (Hint! Melted butter and flour mixed together is called a roux [roo] and can also be used to thicken gravies and sauces)
- Add milk to roux slowly, stirring constantly. Stir in cheeses, and cook over low heat until cheese is melted and the sauce is a little thick. Put macaroni in large casserole dish, and pour sauce over macaroni. Stir well.
- Melt butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and brown. Spread over the macaroni and cheese to cover. Sprinkle with a little paprika.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- 4 - 5 large apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Mix 1/4 - 1/2 cup sugar and lemon juice with apple slices. Pour into 8-in. baking dish.
- Mix rest of the ingredients together until crumbly. Sprinkle over fruit.
- Bake until apples are tender and crumbs are browned, about 40 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold with whipped cream or ice cream
Remember, be creative, have fun and above all, safety first! Always talk to the adult in charge before you get your chef on! Happy cooking!!
Recipes courtesy of Love Sugar Cakes
Have Your Say
- Kidzworld Kitchen: Valentine’s Day Sugar
- Kidzworld Kitchen: Super Bowl Snack Time
- Kidzworld Kitchen: Sleepover Fun
- More Health Stories