Kidzworld Kitchen: Super Bowl Snack Time
Come February 5, people all across the continent will be huddled around their TVs watching every tense moment and edge-of-your-seat play of the XLVI Super Bowl! And no matter who they are rooting for, all those face-painted pig-skin fans are going to have one thing in common – they’re going to be hungry! Here are few snack ideas to keep up the energy level for cheering, high fiving and chest bumping.
Super Bowl of Mexi Dip
Super Bowl of Mexi Dip
- 1 (540ml) can refried beans
- 1-1/2 cups of low fat sour cream
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (341ml) can niblet corn
- 2 medium avocadoes
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper
- ½ tsp ground cumin (Hint! It’s pronounced Q-Min)
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sliced black olives
- ½ cup finely sliced green onion
- Combine the tomatoes, cilantro, corn, salt and pepper and half of the juice of a fresh lime and mix thoroughly with a slotted spoon. Set aside
- Pit your avocados (Hint! The best way to cut an avocado is to slowly insert a small knife in the top of one end and when it touches the pit in the middle slide your knife all around the whole fruit lengthwise till you are left with two halves. Use the knife to cut tic tac toe lines through the avocado and then use a spoon to scoop it out)
- In a bowl, add the avocados, the juice of half a lime, salt and pepper, and cumin. Mash it all together with a potato masher (or back of a fork). Set aside
- Time to build! In the bottom of an 11”x7” casserole dish evenly spread the refried beans with the back of a spoon
- Sprinkle ½ the cheese over top
- On top of the cheese, spread out the guacamole mixture
- Now you are ready to add the sour cream, spreading out with the back of a spoon
- Layer on the fresh tomato salsa, but be sure to use a slotted spoon so you don’t get the liquid
- Sprinkle on the rest of the cheese and green onions
- Serve with your favourite tortilla chips and enjoy!
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 package (250g) mini marshmallows or 40 regular marshmallows
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 6 cups Cocoa Rice Krispies
- 1-1/2 cups of white chocolate
- Over medium heat melt the butter in a large saucepan
- Add the marshmallows to the melted butter and stir until they are completely melted. Remove from heat
- Stir in peanut butter (Hint! Feel free to leave out the peanut butter)
- Add the Cocoa Rice Krispies and carefully mix until all the cereal is coated with marshmallow
- With buttered hands, shape the mixture into small footballs. Set aside
- Put the white chocolate into a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Give it a good stir and, using a fork, drizzle the laces onto the footballs
- Serve and enjoy!
Remember, be creative, have fun and above all, safety first! Always talk to the adult in charge before you get your chef on! Happy cooking sports fans!
Recipes courtesy of Love Sugar Cakes.