Kw-halloween-logo-small

Crafty Mother's Day Gifts

May 06, 2014
You can make your own decoupage flower pot for Mom.
Decoupage Flower Pot

Let's face it, your mom puts you first 364 days a year. The one day when it's all about her is fast approaching, so you'd better get her something nice! No cash, you say? No worries: KW has a few cheap, cute ideas that'll have your Ma all misty-eyed (and may even prompt her to increase her little angel's allowance). Check it out.

Say it With Flowers

If your mom has a green thumb - or even if she just thinks she does - a decoupage flowerpot is sure to be a hit.

What You Need:

  • A terra-cotta pot
  • Mod Podge glue (available at craft stores everywhere)
  • Cute pictures, photos, fabric swatches, empty seed packets (use your impeccable sense of style)
  • A paintbrush or sponge brush

Easy as 1,2,3...

  • Step One: Cut out all the pictures, and other decorative touches you want to attach to the flowerpot. Make them whatever shape or design you think your mom would like.
  • Step Two: Glue all the pieces to the flower pot using the Mod Podge; it usually looks best if all the pieces overlap a little. Be careful to get everything nice and flat.
  • Step Three: Once everything is stuck to the pot, paint a few coats of the Mod Podge over the surface of the entire pot. Let the pot dry and then paint another coat or two of Mod Podge over the surface of the pot again. You can give your mom the flowerpot like this, or plant it with one of her fave flowers!

How Sweet It Is...

If you think your mom is due for a little therapy, er, aromatherapy - this is the perfect gift for her. She can throw these aromatherapy sachets in her closets and drawers to keep them smelling as sweet as she is. Plus, they'll calm her frazzled nerves when you utter those dreaded words, "Mom, I've decided to pierce my...."

What You Need:

  • Squares of pretty fabric
  • Ribbon
  • Cotton balls
  • Various essential oils (available at health food stores, The Body Shop and anywhere else hippies congregate)

Easy as 1,2,3...

  • Step One: Decide what aromatherapy treatment your mom needs. If she seems tired from driving you around all day, try grapefuit. If she can't sleep because she's up worrying about your last report card, try lavender. You can make them all the same, or make different ones for her different moods.
  • Step Two: Put a few drops of the essential oil on the cotton balls.
  • Step Three: Wrap each cotton ball in a piece of cloth and tie it with a piece of ribbon. If you've made a bunch of different kinds, attach a little card to each one that says what it is and what it's used for.

A Few More Ideas For Mom

  • Bake her favorite muffins and serve her breakfast in bed.
  • Paint a wooden picture frame and stick a photo of the two of you in it.
  • Try the decoupage technique with something else - a keepsake box or picture frame is always nice.
  • Tell her you love her - moms need to hear it too!

Have Your Say

What do you do for your mom? Let us know!

 

>
>

readers voted!

Comments

godhuli123

godhuli123 wrote:

hey i also gifted something to my mom this yeasr ! and that is I gifted a handmade pot ...
commented: Mon Jun 09, 2014

k2xbabe

k2xbabe wrote:

I made a poem and gave her a cared and flowers
commented: Sun May 11, 2014

TequieroPanda

TequieroPanda wrote:

samething happen to me lol
commented: Fri May 09, 2014

there are 29 more comments

Please login or register to add comments


like this article?
Sign up now to get more just like!

latest videos

Poll

What Are You Doing for Mom This Year?

  • I'm making her breakfast in bed.
  • I'm making her a cool craft.
  • I'll buy her something nice.
  • I'm going to let my dad figure it out.

related stories

Micro_mothersdaycrossword-mic
Sure, your mom can drive you crazy, but Mother’s Day is the best time of year to suck it up and s...
Micro_mothers-day-picnic-micro
Your mom does so much for you, so spend some quality time with her this Mother's Day. Check out t...
Micro_mothers day_micro
Show mom how much you love her with a big hug and a thoughtful present on Mother's Day. We've com...
Micro_happy-mothers-day-micro
Centuries ago, Mother's Day honored the Mother of the Gods but now the day is meant for our moms....

Random in the forums

shae508
shae508 posted in General:
OOOOOoooohhhh You had toooo.. -starts music- IM ONLY HUMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
reply less than a minute
Dragongirl134
Dragongirl134 posted in Food:
noodles, celery, and juice
reply 6 minutes
AlphaT
AlphaT posted in Debating:
"-Karpov-" wrote: "WhiteIrishRose" wrote:  I mean think about it once we where all just clumps of sells, and now we are walking talking, and breathing. That's not a miracle, it's the result of natural processes that have been understood in great detail for some time now. Dude it's totally miracles. You really think SCIENCE can turn CELLS into PEOPLE???
reply 35 minutes
amazing_tiger
amazing_tiger posted in Debating:
"egyptiscool" wrote: "amazing_tiger" wrote: I know I can understand yours... I'm not completely afraid of it but I absolutely hate it except it's not because i find it gross i's just because i feel empathy for the person throwing up and i hate doing it myself it's uncomfortable  Yeah I am the same, but I hate the look of it and so do I it is so uncomfortable... I was like that last night... I ate something yesterday that me feel unwell...
reply 42 minutes
egyptiscool
egyptiscool posted in Debating:
"amazing_tiger" wrote:I know I can understand yours... I'm not completely afraid of it but I absolutely hate itexcept it's not because i find it gross i's just because i feel empathy for the person throwing up and i hate doing it myself it's uncomfortable 
reply 44 minutes

play online games

Candy-100

A great online version of the famous Candy Crush. This is the best game launched...

Big_icon_(7)

Have you ever fancied being a ranger like those fantasy characters you love so m...

Big_icon_(4)

You run across the city in a car chase with the police officers.

Big_icon_(6)

The evil master kidnapped all of your friends!

Ow_fright_ad_100x100

Explore the world or hang out with friends in your own condo. Get a unique look,...