Babysitting Dos And Don'ts
Babysitting is a great way to earn cash, but it comes with a lot of rules and responsibilities. Kidzworld has prepared a mini-handbook to help you prepare for the important duties of a babysitter - read on!
- DO know the phone number and address where the 'rents can be reached.
- DO know all emergency numbers like the local police, fire department and poison control. In case you don't know these numbers, dial 911.
- DO know where the first aid kit is kept. And it would be even better if you have first aid skills like CPR.
- DO follow instructions for the child's snacks, activities and bedtime.
- DO follow all the family rules for watching TV and talking on the phone.
- DO plan fun activities, like playing board games and watching a great DVD like The Incredibles. You're more likely to be called back by the family if the kids had a good time with you!
- DON'T call your crush or chat with friends all night, even if you're allowed to use the phone. Try to use the phone only for emergencies.
- DON'T invite any friends over - babysitting isn't the time for your friends or boyfriend to visit!
- DON'T feed the child hot dogs, hard candies or peanut butter cuz kids can easily choke on, or be allergic to, these foods.
- DON'T try to babysit too many children at once. It may seem like a good way to make extra cash, but you need to know how many kids you can handle.
- DON'T ever leave children alone, and check on them often once they've gone to bed. Remember, you're being paid to watch over them.